We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days around Chiang Mai: What to do

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
6 days around Chiang Mai: What to do

I have 6 days to spend in Chiang Mai the very last week of December. I am looking basically at two options

1) Spend two days in Pai (or elsewhere?) and spend 4 days in Chiang Mai

2) Spend the whole 6 days in Chiang Mai

I am really torn between the two. I like scenery, slow holidays, not necessarily to see everything that is there to see at one place.

Will going to Pai get me anything I am not getting in CM? Missing on some outstanding scenery? I originally thought going all the way to Ma Hong Son, and flying back to CM, but I just don't have wnough time.

Thanks!

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,678 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 days around Chiang Mai: What to do

Hi,

I was torn between the two fairly recently. In the end I opted for Chiang Dao which was peaceful and so beautiful to relax in, located just under mountains. We also spent a few days in CM visiting the Temples and various markets. I think you should bear in mind that a journey to Pai will cost you a few hours. Should you not want to spend so much time travelling you could either stay in CM or for tranquility opt for Chiang Dao which is closer to CM than Pai.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 days around Chiang Mai: What to do

Thanks. I'll Check Chiang Dao

New York City
Level Contributor
276 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 days around Chiang Mai: What to do

We are looking to go to Chiang Dao and Chaing Rai from CM.Want to know if you did it on your own? if so , how? or if you have to take an organized tour.Also, did you go to the Chiang Dao Caves & Elephant camp? Any suggestions for lodging, etc, We appreciate your input. Thanks

Swansea, Wales
Level Contributor
367 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 days around Chiang Mai: What to do

We always visit chiang mai for several days (tend to spend about 2-3 weeks in thailand each year). Love it.

Last year I was particularly keen to spend a couple of nights in chiang dao- we stayed at nature home and will try and find the website. It is a family place on the outskirts of town, with about 5-6 bungalows. simple rooms and great food in a central eating area. rooms were about 500B per night. Beware it got very cold int he night (feb) although hot hot hot in the day!.

We got Paul Collins to arrange transport up to chiang dao for us- cost was 2000B for an AC good van with driver, including a stop at a wonderful orchid farm en route. Nature Home returned us to CM for another 2000 but their vehicle wasn't as comfy.

Arrived late afternoon and lazed around, had dinner etc and early to bed. Left the following morning early for Chiang Dao elephant camp- we have been to several and this is the best one near to chiang mai we have seen. we asked for the all the events listed as activities on their website; that is, elephant bathing, show, long ride to a crafty place in the forest, lunch at camp, then bamboo rafting. I think cost for this excursion from the guesthouse was a bout 1500B each. returned to base, changed and then had an appointment at the local hot spring- private bathing area. this was great fun, and there was a place to lounge over your private 'pool' with a drink or snack during your time there.

Final morning we were taken to chiang dao cave; this is not for the fainthearted although it is fascinating. Walk into the cave and eventually you come to an area where you need to hire a guide with a lantern. you end up clambering around but do-able and we are not fit. there are one or two small holes you need to squeeze through and we wondered if we could, but we did!. There is also a temple but there were about a zillion steps up so we skipped that part.

So, in summary we found chiang dao great for a few days. Our place also had bikes you could use to ride around the countryside.

Also, a few years previously we stayed at chiang dao nest, which was also fun and had fantastic food. We used this as a base for a night before and after a 2 night trek. we found the trek very difficult but the 'nest' very luxurious. check out their website; they can offer lots of trips but they tend to be more expensive than others.

other posters have also used a guide for all or part of their northernadventure. we tend to use a guide for a day or two in chiang mai.

regarding quilting, I too quilt and love the northern fabrics, but am unfamiliar with ikat. If you are in bangkok do visit sampaeng lane in chinatown, some of the cotton batik sarong fabrics are fantastic. they are sold in 2 meter lengths and I usually bring back a few dozen for quilting.

island-explorer-82
Level Contributor
554 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 days around Chiang Mai: What to do

hows the road condition from cm to mae hong son (via pai). is it affected by the weather and is it advisable to drive ?

6. Re: 6 days around Chiang Mai: What to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 01:18