We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang mai trip need advise

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
Save Topic
Chiang mai trip need advise

We're planning to spen 3 days in Chiang mai..Coming from Bangkok...Need to know as per my plan 3 days sounds ok or should I add 1 more day in my trip instead of 3 should I do 4?...

Day1 Arrive CM morning flight planning to take tour for Meow Hill tribe village, Wat Doi Suthep Temple, Silk and Cotton Home Industries, Bor Sang, Thai Celadon.

Day2 Elephant Safari, Orchid farm.

Day 3 Golden Triangle...

Am I missing something in there?...Any advise welcome..

Thanks!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

Your first two days sounds fine - although a lot of ground to cover on day 1. Personally I would adjust the third day. Three days is not enough to see both Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai/Golden Triangle.

Chiang Rai city is three hours (no stops) from Chiang Mai. The sights of the Golden Triangle are further out again from the city of Chiang Rai. This is going to mean a minimm of 8 hours in the car for you driving and not much time actually seeing anything (there is not a lot to see from the road to Chiang Rai).

With only three days your time would be much better spent staying in Chiang Mai and exploring the city - eating out somewhere nice and maybe visiting a local market like Warorot. It will be much more enjoyable.

Caroline.

houston
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

Thnaks for ur response...What do u suggest rightnow we've 3 days there...If we do first day city explore by tour bus then I think we can cover the whole first day..For elephant safari we can do our own and third day we can take tour bus or can we do our own?....Or should we add one more 4th day in there?....

Thanks...

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,185 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

Your plans are fine but quite rushed. Personally, I would spend more time there and move around slower.

houston
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

Thanks for ur advise...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

and I would skip the tour bus and get yourself a driver or guide. If you go on a tour with a bus load of people you are locked into their plan for the day and you'll find you do a lot of waiting around (for people to get back to the bus). It is not expensive to hire a guide or driver - see FAQ top right of this page - Guides - for a listing of highly recommended guides on the forum.

Otherwise you can find a driver once in Chiang Mai -your hotel should be able to help with this.

On day three just relax and enjoy exploring the city - there are lots of things to see and do. Make sure you have a walk around the old city to see some of the cities temples. It is a nice area to explore.

Caroline.

houston
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

Thanks...So what do u sugget should I do 3 or 4 days?...Do u think I can cover that many places in day 1?....What's the difference between tour bus or driver?...Driver means rent a car with driver?...It won't be that expensive?...If we do that we should do it for all three days?...Then do u think we can explore all these places in 3 days?....Thanks u so much in advance if u can clarify all my questions.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

If you have three or four days here is what I would do:

Day one - arrive, settle into hotel, afternoon - visit hilltribe and Doi Suthep.

Day two - elephant camp and orchid farm - plus any other sights (waterfall etc)

Day three - arts and craft villages - silk, ceramics, bor sang umbrellas - Baan Tawai village.

Day four - explore the old city, lunch at a riverside restaurant, Warorot Market area.

I will fill in the gaps with the night market, eating out, having a swim in the hotel pool, a massage etc.

You could hire a driver for a half day on day one, a full day on day two, a half day on day three. No need on day four.

Send an email to a few of the guides on the list under FAQ - top left of the page. These people are registered guides in Thailand and are highly recommended by forum users. It will help you get around and cover as much ground as possible in the time you are there. If you only stay three days - combine days three and four into one day.

Caroline.

houston
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

Your response helped me a lot...I think yes it's better to spend 4 days and that's what we gonna do...On fourth day or 3rd day can we go for Golden triangle?...We really want to go and see that...Is it possible go with the driver and come back same day?..

Thanks!!!!

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
119 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

As others have said, you're trying to pack in far too much. The Golden Triangle is a minimum 4 hours each way, and you could be disappointed when you get there. Spend the time exploring in Chiang Mai instead - it will be much more rewarding.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chiang mai trip need advise

Although I certainly love to have people visit Chiang Rai, I must concur with Caroline and others, when they say a trip to Chiang Rai is not a good "day trip." It is 3 hours one way to Chiang Rai and 4 hours one way to the Golden Triangle (the Golden Triangle is another hour north of Chiang Rai). If you had a night to spend in Chiang Rai it might make the Golden Triangle trip worthwhile, as you could also then go to the night market and clock tower in Chiang Rai during the evening and not spend all of one day in a car.

If you really want to go to Chiang Rai for a day trip, hire a driver/car (as opposed to a tour bus) and go to the White Temple, as it is about 15 minutes south of Chiang Rai and you can then go at your own pace and really explore the White Temple and the Masters' Art Museum across the street.

Safe Travels,

Broder