We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

Hey guys,

I'm staying two days at Shangri la hotel with my family but after 2 days, my girlfriends coming to see me and thus I wanna change location and probably get a cheaper hotel than the shangri la hotel, maybe 40-50$ a night

Could you pls recommend which area to stay at? Its my first time in Chiang mai (or Thailand) and i will be starting my backpacking trip here.(im so excited) old city? I'm more into feeling the culture of a country than staying at the touristic places

Please help and suggest locations or even accomodation!!

Thanks a million guys,

Have a nice day

Rgds,

Kunal

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,386 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

Hi,

Speaking for myself I like to be close to the river and night market. There are a number of cheap places to stay at. Chiang Mai isn't a big city and much of it is doable on foot. For the slightly greater distances you can take a songtaow (pick up truck/taxi)

Edited: 27 February 2012, 12:05
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

Hi,

As you will have already stayed in the night market area at the Shangri-La, I'd be more inclined to stay somewhere within the moat of the old city for a different feel. There are plenty of decent guest houses near the Tha Phae gate area or in the centre you have Pat's Klangviang and 3 Sis, both good choices and within your budget. Some of the quieter sois off the Tha Phae rd also have some good places and these are within walking distance to both the old city and the night bazaar area

Cheers

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

Hi thank u for your help !

Paulosussex - I think you have convinced me to find a nice place at Tha Phae rd as it seems to be the best location!?!

Thanks a milion, Gnna try find a nice place for around 1000-1200 bhat actually a bit less than what I quoted before as coming up with so many activities I want to do and costs are increasing!! haha

Thanks feel free to post more suggestions

So grateful!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

Hi,

Apart from the two I mentioned, the best thing to do is wander around the Tha Phae area when you're there and have a look at a few places, there are quite a lot of options. In your budget you could look at, Na Thapae, Montrara Happy House, Thaepae Boutique House, you might even scrape a room at Raming Lodge if they're not busy. But one man's meat is another's poison and prices fluctuate depending on demand so you might want to wait until you're in Chiang Mai before making a choice.

cheers

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

We stayed at Top Garden for 600 a night and we loved it. Bit of a walk to Tapae but close to good restaurants on moonmuang. We are currently at Portico21 and I don't like it as much as I did Top Garden.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
729 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

I have to agree w/Paulo. We stayed at 3 SIS beg. of Dec.2011...and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

Great place to stay........and a fabulous location!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

@Picklebird101

Could you please tell me how long did it take you to go to Tapae or Night Market? Can you please tell me some more about your staying at Top Garden

I also want to book at Top Garden (didnot book yet) but would like everything to be at walking distance if it is possible.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Greetings,

Miss_M

Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

Hey guys so grateful to all your msg's!

Top garden seemed really cool ..my gf likes this hotel called minicost? It's on tha phae road which paulossusex advised too? any feedback?

Thanks guys!!

Have a nice day,

Kunal

9. Re: Which area to stay at for a first time visiter to Chiang mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:41