We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

137 Pillars House or The Chedi

Sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
137 Pillars House or The Chedi

Hi has anybody stayed at both of these hotels in Chiang Mai? We are wondering which is nicer and also how far from town (i.e. shopping and restaurants) is the 137 Pillars House and how much a taxi would cost to get to and from town. Both look lovely so just trying to decide.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

Hi,

137 Pillars has only opened very recently - so it is unlikely you will find someone who has stayed in both. I agree - both are wonderful options.

The Chedi is on the night bazaar and old city side of the river - 137 Pillars is over the river. We stay on the same side as 137 Pillars and love the location - however others prefer to be right in the action.

The street along the river near 137 Pillars is lined with great places to eat and drink.

It is about 60B in a tuk tuk from here around town - or 20B in a songthaew.

Caroline.

Sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

Hi Caroline, thank you, what is a songthaew??! I have been to Vietnam a few times but never take the tuktuk because I feel it's unfair to the men to have to carry my weight plus shopping, I always take a cab!

Can you recommend any of the restaurants near 137 Pillars? Also, whenever I go to Bali I get sooo sick! Can you tell me, is it OK to eat the salads in Thailand or best to only eat cooked foods?

Carol

Sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

... OK I googled images of a songthaew now so know what it is - thanks. How do you get these do they stop at the hotel, do you just flag them down or have to book one? Sorry if I sound daft

Manly, New South...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

Hi, stayed at 137 Pillars House for a conference recently. It was an easy walk to the river and a 60bht tuk tuk. I loved 137 Pillars as the setting that has the "House" and gardens as the focal point was tranquil, great pool backed by an incredible plant "wall" to block out the neighbouring apartment complex....topped off with excellent service and food!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

There are not a lot of cabs in Chiang Mai. A lot of them hang out near the airport and some cruise the streets... but the main way to get around is by tuk tuk (you have to negotiate a price each time) or songthaew. A tuk tuk is different to the bikes (cyclos) they have in Vietnam that pull you around. A didn't see tuk tuks when we were in Hanoi last year. They have a motor and a bench seat that sit about three people and are comfortable to get around in.

The songthaews cruise the streets and you just flag one down (the same way you would a cab). You generally share the songthaew with others. Just tell the driver where you want to do. They will mostly nod 'yes' -confirm it is 20B per person and jump in the back.

If they say no - it means they are not going to the area you want to go and are on a set route.

You can hire a songthaew by the hour - again you have to negotiate with the driver. Then it is a private rental and others will not get in.

The system is easy and works well.

You just walk to the nearest road and generally you will find songthaews and tuk tuks.

The road that runs along the river near 137 Pillars is a popular eating and drinking strip. There are a number of restaurants and bars that serve meals - Deck 1, The Riverside, Good View, The Brasserie, Chez 15, The Gallery, Reginas are just a few along that street.

You might like to get hold of a copy of The Nancy Chandler Map. It has places to eat and drink marked on the map and it makes finding places so much easier. It also has a market map, shops and sights marked on the map. You can order a map on line from Nancy Chandler or Amazon - or buy it in Chiang Mai or Bangkok.

Caroline.

Sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

Thank you Caroline

Sydney
Level Contributor
138 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

Hi I am a northern beaches girl too, thank you for your post, much appreciated.

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

I'm celebrating my honeymoon in Thailand, Chiang mai is one of the stops for 3 days. I'm staying at the 137 Pillars House. Is there any recommendations for things to do?

Does anybody know the cost for a taxi from the airport to the 137 Pillars House?

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

Have stayed at both The Chedi and 137 Pillars and IMHO, 137 Pillars wins hands down. If you're going to be here during the Loy Krathong Festival, 137 Pillars is running a "room special" that you can most likely check out on their site. Bake 'N Bite, a lovely little bakery/restaurant where you can get great breakfast all day, fantastic lunch specials as well as some of CM's best chocolate brownies is right down the street from 137 Pillars. (They are closed on Friday) Hinlay Curry House is also a short walk if you want some of the best Indian food in Chiang Mai. Or you can also walk over to the Come Dara Restaurant right on the river and enjoy a lovely, quiet view of the Ping while enjoying some Thai food specialties. If you go over to Come Dara make sure you take some time to explore the art gallery located in the building in front of the restaurant. Lovely photos of Chiang Mai - back in the day! Very interesting building too. Marie (nannyre)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 137 Pillars House or The Chedi

I have not stayed at 137 Pillars but was not that impressed with the Chedi. 137 looks beautiful. I had originally booked at Rachamankha last time but changed to Chedi(wish I hadn't). The other one I really like (but not stayed at) is U.