We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

We are now back after an 8 day stay 17.3.12 in Chiang Mai.

The air was not as clear but presented with no great problems.

Top marks to Top Garden Guesthouse, excellent value and helpful hosts. The Laundry lady opposite washing and ironing at 40 Baht a kilo. Breakfast at various local cafes as Top Garden did not do breakfast which we knew about . Diversity was amazing and sometimes we went just down our Soi or a short walk either over the Moat to the opposite Soi or along various lanes to cafes. Veggies Cafe and Double Diamond both rate a high mention.

Sunday Roast lunch at Archers what a great meal.

The Pink Tea House (Vieng Joom On) beautiful shabby chic, dont miss for a lovely experience and for lovely gifts for Tea Drinkers.

In the same road we also went on another day to WaWee Coffee house wonderful coffee and nice surroundings.

The Raming Tea House for a wonderful afternoon tea experience.

Go to Siam Celadon Factory well worth the visit you may not get free tea like Baan Celadon but the selection of products was amazing and they packed ti so well it all came home in one piece.

We used a Taxi driver Chin Service 089-635-7490 on and off throughout our stay as well as a full morning at Doi Sothep, and another at Handicraft village areas. He also was excellent for our trip to airport which was quite early.

Check out Thai Farm Cooking School well organised and enjoyable. The walking street markets Saturday and the Sunday were quite different. The Ansuran Market together with the Cabaret /Lady Boy show was worth paying for 1 or 2 drinks.

Kalare Market Food Court also was easy to sort out a delicious meal with lots of various foods. The coupon system does work well. If you miss out on some handcrafts, a trip to the Northern Thailand section at the Airport Plaza Shopping centre (not at the airport itself) is well worth a visit quality good and prices are very reasonable, this shopping centre had a great supermarket as well as a food court type area with lots of different goodies to choose from and was an airconditioned break from the very high heat in the middle of the day.

There also a free shuttle service to and from this shopping centre is available from 9 hotels such as Amora Thapae, Dusit D2, Shanrgri-La, Rati Lanna Riverside etc anyone can use it However if there are not many people on the way there the green Song thaw may leave early from the pick up points however on way back it leave right on time. Pick up starts from 10.45am and are generally hourly returns start at 11.30 last trip at 7pm

And Yes we did spend a full hour and 40 photos of the Pandas at Chiang Mai zoo at feeding time 9 am and yes they are very entertaining ... for those who just walked through in 5 minutes and didnt see a movement, they missed out Big Time!!!!

BIG HINT. Buy the 6 litre water container at 7/11 or wherever if staying for a while and then refill at the water stations which cost 3 baht, saving plastic. Or you can refill 4 x 1.5 lites for 3 baht, these water station are in various Sois throughout Chiang Mai.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
242 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

Hi,thanks for your review. It has lots of helpful tips for people like us visiting this area for the first time. We will be there at the beginning of June,cant wait.

Regards Lilly

Bangalore
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

very detailed review annski, thank you for that. We are visiting in November, are rooms at Top Garden air conditioned? we want to stay at least 5 days and can't stay somewhere too expensive. thank u in advance.

australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

The room we had was very large included small table and 2 chairs as well as a desk and a small fridge. . Air conditioned worked very well and also had 2 windows for air flow when cooler early morning Room 1133 dont know how they do the numbering !! It is not a very large property but beautifully maintained and lots of pots plants and water type features around and as a bonus resonably priced. They do have fan rooms that are cheaper. Victor was a lovely host and his wife being Thai was able to sort out queries or arrange things very well the Tuk tuk driver we had for a 1/2 day trip which included 3 temples coffee break and a general orientation was great however I cannot remember his name. Computer for internet in a lounge area downstairs and also beer and drinks in the a courtyard area. Lots of open sitting areas over the 3 floors. (I should have said Private Driver Service for Chin Services not Taxi driver)

Check out the Web Site for Top Garden.

Edited: 07 April 2012, 00:52
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

Thanks, lI really enjoyed your report, loads of info for people planning a trip.

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
530 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

Annski- Thanks for the recommendations. Will certainly try some of the places mentioned.Do you happen to know if Siam Celadon Factory has a shipping service. The 20Kg weight limit on some internal flights has me worried.

australia
Level Contributor
371 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

When we were there, 3 ladies were choosing a full dinner service of a multitude of western and eastern style pieces, and I believe it was being shipped to USA as I think they mentioned it was a Wedding present.

Most places we went were certainly used to shipping internationally but as it wasnt something we needed to know didnt take much notice.

Just found the web site

http://www.siamceladon.com/gallery.php

http://www.siamceladon.com/products.php?id=3

http://www.siamceladon.com/aboutus.php

Hope you enjoy choosing your pieces as much as we did ...

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

Hi Annski,

I don't think I had seen your trip report before. It was written while we were travelling in Chiang Mai ourselves and I must have missed it. Thanks so much, what great information you have included. Really helpful tips...

I enjoyed reading it.

Caroline.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

I wish people would stop writing JBR's about Chiang Mai as it just makes me want to be there instead of here : )

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

Hi, enjoyed reading your review. I checked out Top Garden Guesthouse online. It looks perfect for what I am seeking. Thanks for the tip. Can you tell if the shower in Top Garden was a separate shower or the wet room/wet bathroom type of shower.

Thanks

Malaysia
Level Contributor
141 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chiang Mai review March 17 2012.

How much was your driver?