We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
297 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
What to do

We are going to the UK in August then we are planning to fly to Phuket for 7 days the going to Chiang Mai for about 6 days we will then have to fly to Bangkok to fly back to Perth we have only just been through Chiang Mai so don't know any thing about it so need some ideas like where to stay we need basic but with A/C hot water fridge and tv . we like areas with lots going on . we have seen flights from Chiang Mai for $0.00 you just pay tax of $3.51 so that is good but should we fly straight to bangkok from the UK and onto Chiang Ma and then to Phuket or fly staight to Phuket from the UK.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do

Flights for $0.00 plus tax ... don't count on that, it has been a long while since Air Asia ran a "free flight" offer.

Take a bit of time and read through the numerous FAQs, especially the Things to Do and Trip Reports. They will give you some good ideas to start with ... then come to the forum and ask more specific questions. There are so many lodges in Chiang Mai in so many different areas at so many different prices. And everyone's idea of "lots going on" is different (shopping, eating, getting drunk, tourist activities), so it is difficult to answer specifics without more info from you.

Regarding your question about direct UK to BKK or UK to HKT, best bet is to look at the fares for both, as well as domestic flight costs, then figure out which meets your budget best. Otherwise the only real difference is that flying direct to Phuket, will get you to the beach a little quicker.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
297 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do

We like markets lots of people around some night life . We like to watch things around us we are not for sitting around a pool we like to get out and walk around looking in shops cheap restaurants a bit like Kuta in Bali . I know the price from Chiang Mai to Bangkok is not much but what I was thinking is that we could get a direct flight from Phuket to Perth we where at one point going to do Phuket and Bangkok but we have done Bangkok twice before so we thought we would try some where different so though Chiang Mai may be good. But as we have not been before we want to make sure we go to some where that has a lot happening.

Wiltshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do

Hi Sandy. We like to fly direct from UK to Bangkok. If you go with Eva Air ( we paid £1200 for two at Easter) and make your connection with Bangkok Airways, you can check your bags through to either Phuket or Chiangmai. This worked brilliantly for us and all our flights went very smoothly, well that is apart from nearly missing our flight from Heathrow, but that's another story. If you book early enough, Bangkok Air are competively priced. Hope this helps.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do

For accom have a look at Centara hotel. Its in a really good location for getting out and about. Very close to the night markets and some great eating places.

It has a lovely pool, but water is bl......... freezing.

Cheers. Danuta.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
297 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do

Well we booked the FREE flights with with add ons it came to a total of $42 for the two of us so we now know we are leaving Chiang Mai on the 12th of October . Now we have to book the rest our flight to the UK then our flight to Phuket wehave bought a scoopon for a Phuket hotel so hopefully that will work out.

Anyone know of a hotel in Bangkok ? we where looking for the we stayed at before just can't remember the name it was past the MBK building on the left same side and one entrance of the hotel went straight onto the rail line. .

any ideas for us would be great we have been to Bangkok twice but again we need around the $50 mark and close to the MBK . thanks sandy

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do

Sandy - I think you will get lots more in the way of replies if you post your questin about Bangkok on the Bangkok forum (rather than the Chiang Mai forum).

As far as things to do in Chiang Mai - we set up the FAQ on the top right hand side of this page, because as you can imagine this question gets asked very regularly. It just saves re-typing the same info over and over.

We travel with our family and I put together the FAQ on 'TOP 20 Things to Do' - then others have replied and added other ideas.

I also put together a 20tips for first first timers just last week..... which is also under the FAQ.

So start with that info - and then ask away with any further questions.

What kind of accommodation are you looking for?

Chiang Mai has a lot of guest houses and B&B's - small boutique style Thai hotels. These are wonderful choices and give a really nice experience of Chiang Mai. (Raming Lodge, Rimping Village, The Baan Orapin, Pak Chiang Mai, Baan Klang Wiang, De Lanna, The Rim).

There is of course also the chain style high rise hotels - particularly around the night bazaar building. (Centara Duangtawan Hotel, Imperial Mae Ping Hotel, Royal Princess Hotel).

There are hundreds of choices of places to stay - I'm sure you will love Chiang Mai. There is heaps to see and do - and exciting place to be.

Caroline.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
297 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do

I have posted in the Bangkok forum and I have been looking at the hotels suggested and I like the look of the Imperial Mae Ping . Is this a good choice ??

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do

Hi again,

It is about 5 minutes walk from the night market. We have stayed there a couple of times but many many years ago. It is an older hotel - I think we first stayed there about 20 years ago.

I don't think the pool area is as nice as the Centara Duangtawan hotel - which is also closer to the night bazaar.

I think you would call it a three star - high rise hotel - but there is nothing wrong with it - except maybe being a bit tired.

Caroline.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
297 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do

Do you think the Centara Duangtawan would be a better choice . I am new to the area so would like to see what others who know recommend

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,946 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do

I think both would be fine...

Here is a little more info...

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

Caroline.