We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Topic
What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

Hi - We're 2 adults and 2 kids going to travel to Chiang mai first week of July. What should we bring? I know it must be really hot like in texas. Rainy? Is it acceptable to wear shorts, knee-length skirts, lil revealing tops, dresses not formal summer type spregati stings ?Or any advise what will be appropriate outfits in summer I don't know is there any temples and dress code require.

Thanks!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

It will be hot like Texas summers, but perhaps a bit more humid. And yes it is rainy season, though the rain tends to come as showers, so you can still enjoy outside sightseeing.

Thais tend to dress conservatively and while some posters might tell you that you can wear anything you want, dressing conservatively will gain you more appreciation from the locals. Traveling in a responsible and respectful manner is always a good thing to do.

Wearing knee length shirts and longer shorts (no hot pants for temples) is perfect, shirts and blouses with sleeves are preferable over spaghetti strapped tube tops. A 'lil revealing top' with no bra wouldn't be a good idea (even the "working" girls wear undergarments in Thailand).

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

I see lots of tourists is tank tops and spaghetti strap dresses. I prefer to have a light weight gauze shirt to cover my shoulders. I am in and out of AC and it is nice to cover up when the AC makes it chilly.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

Same as the answer for Bangkok, take at least one proper t shirt, a long sleeved lightweight top and probably a long skirt or pants in lightweight cotton.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

and do take one long skirt or pair of long pants. You will need these for admission to The Grand Palace in Bangkok and for Doi Suthep - Wat Phra Doi Suthep.

Caroline.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

Shorts are fine - even at Doi Suthep. (seen countless people wearing shorts over the years)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

You will not be admitted to the temple area of Doi Suthep with shorts. You need to have your knees covered. You can go around the outside area, but not through into the temple. Men seem to be able to get away with shorts that go to the knee...

A poster recently commented that they were refused entry with a number of females wearing shorts.

C.

houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

Thank u so much ya'll...U guys helped me a lot.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
243 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

I suggest you 'waterproof' your bags and your electronic items. I was trekking up the hill and got caught in a storm, and good thing my guide had a plastic bag for my camera.

Get zip locks of all sizes!

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

I know because I have worn them. :P (inside the complex too as I observed countless others) I even have a snap of me with a monk. ;)

Mind you this is few years ago so maybe they have gotten stricter. ;) (safe side put a pair of nylon trousers in the rucksack)

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in Chiang mai first week of July

Howdy ,

In July is rainy season , it's not hot like summer in Texas. Shorts, knee-length skirts - pants are ok.

Doi Suthep Temple have to wear long pants for women and polite top.

Prepare Mosquito Repellent.