We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose between hotels!

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
559 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help me choose between hotels!

Hi there!

Looking to book our stay in Chiang Mai in February 2013 for approx 4 nights -It will be our first time to CM (we are in our mid-twenties). I have short listed a few guesthouses bases on price & positive reviews(and listed them in no particular order). We would like to spend about $25USD/night or less. Can anyone comment on our choices? Or suggest another guesthouse that is missing? We are interested in a unique, authentic Thai experience and love the indoor/outdoor living style.

1)Top Garden Boutique Guesthouse

2)Vanilla Place

3)CM Blue House

4)Lanna Thai Guesthouse

5)Chiang Mai Thai House

While in Chiang Mai, we plan on dong a cooking course, checking out an Elephant rehabilitation site, and the Tiger Kingdom, along with exploring the city(massages & markets& great food)

Thanks for your help!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

I hope someone else with more knowledge than me will reply to help you out - I haven't stayed at any of these places so can only go on what I read on the forums here.

Vanilla Place has been getting great reviews - it is in the night bazaar general area, but closer to Wararot Market and not too far from the river. I have heard it is a lovely place to stay.

Chiang Mai Thai House gets consistently good comments and is very popular.

Parasol Inn is in the old city and has been mentioned a bit lately - it seems to have some good specials on and is in a good location. It is around the same price as the ones you mention.

http://www.parasolinn.com/

Sorry I can't help more.

Caroline.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 10:18
Singapore, Singapore
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

I stayed at Chiang Mai Thai house in Jan 2012. Considering it's a budget hotel, the place is clean and comfortable.

There are different types of rooms. As there are 3 of us, we decided to spend a little more to get the ground floor unit that comes with a very small garden. Trip sharing, air con only at 1250Bht per room/nite

www.chiangmaithaihouse.com/accom/room3.php

This is their website

www.chiangmaithaihouse.com/accom/accom.php

Ms Lee

C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

Thanks for your input !

ANy other recommendations for a unique experience? Can up the budget if necessary by a bit ...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

We swear by the Baan Orapin

C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

Oooh, had a look at Baan Orapin, and unfortunately the price is very much out of our budget! (Almost $70USD/night!)

This is getting tough finding a mix of rustic/clean/indoor&outdoor living in CM !

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

We also love the Baan Orapin - the superior rooms start at $61US a night - and you get 10% discount for cash payments for stays of four nights or more. But yes, sitll above your budget.

I'm sure the options you mention above will be fine.

There are lots of great places to stay in Chiang Mai - however, you will find you will move up a whole other level if you can go to around $50US a night.

Parami guest house is in the same street as the Baan Orapin and is in an old Thai house. An interesting area in the street that runs alongside the river.

http://www.paramiguesthouse-chiangmai.com/

Eco Resort might be worth a look as well. It is in an old coverted school - very Thai style with lots of grounds and a huge pool.

http://www.ecoresortchiangmai.com/

Caroline.

Edited: 09 June 2012, 03:08
C W
Vancouver
Level Contributor
559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

Thanks for the info on Parami, Caroline! Will add this one to our short list !

California
Level Contributor
224 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

I also recommend Baan Orapin. It is a very beautiful B&B.

Another B&B which I highly recommend is Baan Hanibah. The room rate for two people is 1250 THB.

http://www.baanhanibah.com

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
27 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

I stayed in CM for a month last year and am going back for 2 this year. I stayed in a place out of your budget, but for your budget stay in the area that is in the Southeast corner of the old city....within the wall. There are tons of guesthouses there and many funky restaurants , bars and cooking schools. It has small fun Sois. You'll love it there and it is a short walk from the Night Bazaar, etc.

Prices start at $6 or less a night.

Edited: 09 June 2012, 23:21
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me choose between hotels!

Parami isn't flash - I wouldn't compare it to a few of the other options... however, it rates well on tripadvisor and is in a good location on the riverside street. It is a little thai house and fairly basic. I go there for massages at Padma (their massage place attached to the guest house) when we stay at the Baan Orapin up the road. The staff are lovely...

Caroline.