We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Please keep in mind "back in the day" when I came here as a tourist I was hard pressed to find a tuna sandwich to munch on, never mind a pizza, a salad or a burger when my craving for farang food became almost unbearable. As a matter of fact, it's still a stretch to find the sandwich item here made without salad cream, a fried egg or some other thing I don't want in or on my tuna. But then again, if I want something as mundane as a tuna sandwich I'll make it at home and not go to a restaurant. Also note that I don't like rice. I never have liked rice. There are many local "Mom and Pop" Thai restaurants here in Chiang Mai where even after more than eight years of requesting things like Chicken and Cashews, Spicy Thai Beef Salad and several other of my favorite Thai foods with no rice I still get some strange looks and a whole lot of head shaking. Don't get me wrong, I love Thai food. But when you live here, are farang and either can't find what you need or the price of the ingredients to make your favorite farang foods are sky high, what do you do? In my case I became like Diogenes and roamed the streets of Chiang Mai in search of some of my favorite farang cravings, and this is what I found.

I have listed My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities in alphabetical order, not preference, since I think they all are fantastic and also enjoy and miss different favorite foods at different times.

BILLY RESTAURANT: (Italian) This is Billy Restaurant, not Billy's and it's a small local Italian restaurant & pizzeria. Those of you armed with your N/C map will have no problem finding it and if you don't have one of those don't worry, it's up the street toward the Old City from the Centara. (First right after you cross the bridge over the feted canal.) After you turn right, walk straight down the Soi and you will see several tables with checked table cloths outside the restaurant on the left. You can eat inside with A/C or outside and people watch.

The food is great and a reasonable price. Highly recommend in my book is the salmon pizza, spaghetti carbonara, or the osso bucco. Salads are fresh and crisp with not a speck of the dreaded shredded carrot found heaped on so many salad plates here in the Kingdom. Bruschetta is to die for since Billy doesn't skimp on the mozzarella. Billy also provides some crusty Italian bread, garlic butter and dipping oil to each table. When you finish your entree why not try some of the tiramisu? The wine list is limited, but the by-the-glass house white or red is quite good and not overpriced. There are also many vegetarian items on the menu, one of which is the vegetable lasagna.

The decor is simple but the food is excellent. The owner and staff are Thai, friendly and welcoming, Billy Restaurant is all about good times relaxing with good Italian food. It is open from Noon till till about 11:00 at night. So if you find yourself in the Night Bazaar area it is worth the short walk over to Kampaengdin road.

Billy restaurant 42 Kampaengdin Rd.

Tel:053 27712

THE DUKE'S: (American) Billed by "The Duke" himself, as the premier destination in Chang Mai for great American food. No claims, no games, just great food - the owner/operator of this Chiang Mai intuition is not overstating! Well known for their "falling off the bone ribs", the assortment of menu choices is fantastic for farang and Thai alike who crave some good American food.

Some of my favorites from this restaurant are the New England shrimp chowder, turkey and Swiss melt sandwich, steak salad, combo pizza and the chicken fried chicken. Portions are LARGE and all ingredients are fresh - case in point - the Chef's Chopped Salad, which is loaded with romaine, fresh tomato, ham, chicken, pepperoni and black olives. Try it with some of The Duke's homemade Italian dressing (one of the best ever, and no, he won't give out the recipe, I've asked!). There is also a great "kids" menu and all of the prices are reasonable. The desserts are also "to die for"! The Duke's offers wine by the glass or carafe, mixed drinks and an assortment of beer, both Thai and imported.

Tel: River Ping Branch: 053-249 231

Night Bazaar Branch: 053- 818 603

Open: daily 11.00 - 23.00

THE RIVER MARKET; (Thai and farang) I have already written a review of this fantastic place (you can find it in the FAQ column - Dining Experiences) and perhaps you are wondering why I have it listed again here with farang food. Well, the simple reason is anyone who lives or visits here - or any food that is not Thai is called farang. The River Market has some wonderful farang food ideas that get my mouth watering and my stomach growling just thinking about them. For instance, there is the Seafood and raw bar, Sashimi and Nigiri, California rolls, Shrimp tempura rolls and King crab legs as well as Chicken salad which I understand has roasted chicken, mixed greens and peanut sauce. There are more choices that would be considered farang food such as the Massaman lamb sirloin curry which I wrote about in my review. No matter what you order everything is made with the freshest of ingredients and it's delicious. I've also requested no rice with my meal and not received a strange look or a head shake here!

One of the Thai foods I must try next visit are Thai Sausage stuffed chicken wings. (how in the world you stuff a chicken wing is beyond me - but I intend to find out). I'm not going to list some of the Thai selections, however I do want to say a few words about the dining style you will find at The River Market. This restaurant is about having fun and relaxing with family and friends. It's a place for people to share their menu choices and to take their time enjoying a meal the way the Thai people do. As I said, portions are large, so no need to worry about not having enough to eat if you share. When you go out for dinner in the West you may spend a bit more than an hour eating at the restaurant. Thai people may take two or three hours talking, eating, sampling each dish and this is the way to enjoy your meal at The River Market. You may also find that everything you ordered doesn't arrive at the table all at the same time the way food does in a Western restaurant. Don't stress or get upset - this is a part of the Thai dining experience also - slowly, slowly - sabai sabai. Relax, enjoy, watch the River Ping flow by your table from the terrace. The River Market has a nice wine menu and also offers mixed drinks and an assortment of different beer.

It's a wonderful dining experience. I do recommend you make reservations if you will be dining with a large group, it makes everything just a bit easier for the staff and you won't have to wait for a large table to be set up.

Right next to the Iron Bridge/Night Bazaar side of the Ping

Charoen Prathet Road, Tambol Changklan, Amphur Maung, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand

Telephone - 053-249-943

THE SPIRIT HOUSE RESTAURANT (Continental/Asian) This is another of my favorite restaurants which I have already reviewed. I've gone back here time and time again over the years. It's small, intimate and interesting. I can't get enough of Steve's homemade pate and sometimes purchase a portion to bring home with me. I love eating dinner in the garden area - which feels like a jungle and in the background you can enjoy the sound of the waterfalls along the back wall. I always eagerly await hearing what creative, innovative things are on the Specials Menu for the evening. Chicken tarragon, fresh fish in a blueberry sauce, crispy pork with a mustard sauce? The man is a genius in the kitchen and if the place isn't too crowded Steve becomes a most interesting raconteur when he stops by the table. The Spirit House has a limited wine menu and does serve mixed drinks and beer.

Make sure you save room for one of Steve's delectable desserts too. Most include chocolate - either white or dark - some served with raspberries, or apricots and sponge cake soaked liqueur with perhaps some homemade whipped cream on top? How bad can it be?

The Spirit House is off of Chang Puek Road on Viangbua Road. It is diagonally across the street from Viangbua Mansion - and there isn't a tuk tuk driver or songtaw driver in the city who doesn't know where that venue is. I also suggest at this venue if you have a party of six or more you call ahead for reservations.

Spirit House 4 Viangbua Rd.

Chiang Puek, Chiangmai 50300

Telephone: 66 (0)848034366

I hope some of you take the time to explore one or more of my four favorite farang food facilities when you're visiting my hometown. Marie (nannyre)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Brilliant Marie - however, I too am shaking my head about the rice... ha ha ha....

Caroline.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Wow, not being able to eat rIce is a real bummer in Asia.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Sometimes after a couple of weeks of Thai food you just can't stop the urge to eat a burger or Pizza so it's good to have a list of the best options in town, thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
438 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Thank you for your post. I just love it when experts give us the benefit of their experience & research. I am looking forward to some delicious Thai food during our upcoming trip, but by the time we get to CM - I think I may be ready for some Western food.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Thank you Marie, our next visit to Chiang Mai will involve eating and eating only.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

If you really get homesick for traditional sunday roast I can reccomend Bar Gecko just down between Maninarakorn Hotel and Night Bazar, lots of ex pat customers every sunday beware though last time I was there portions were huge!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

No rice^%#*?! I couldn't live without Sticky rice (kao neow) rolled into a ball with one hand and dipped in thick, spicy dip (nam pik pao.) It's the perfect staple food hot or cold. ^_^

The stuffed chicken wings (big gai sawt sai tawt) is a standard Thai dish found in most Thai restaurants. It's so yummy! The wing is trimmed & de-boned. The chicken meat is left inside and stuffed with ground pork, mung noodle, finely chopped water chestnuts to give it a crunce, soy sauce, garlic, and seasoning. It’s steamed first to hold everything together; than breaded and than deep fried. That's why it takes a while for the order. And well worth the wait. It’s served with chili sauce or sweet & sour sauce. It is absolutely delicious. It's not spicy.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 02:50
Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Oh, I do eat the sticky rice with BBQ chicken and sweet chili sauce from street vendors, also sticky rice and mango as well as the sticky rice that comes with a Khantoke dinner. It's just the plain, boiled rice that is served with everything else that I don't like. Marie (nannyre)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

Hi Nannyre.... thanks for taking the time to create this great "Farang" food resource... It's amazing how, in the midst of great Thai food, we can sometimes just CRAVE our comfort food while travelling - for me, it's a way of almost feeling like I'm at home again for a few hours, and can just totally relax for awhile, and not have to worry about "too hot!" or "too spicey" or "what did you say was in this????"

I love Asian food, but sometimes it's just great to have a great primb rib meal, or a great hamburger or something without rice!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,363 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Four Favorite Farang Food Facilities

I prefer to eat Thai when I visit the LOS but do occasionally get a craving for something western.

But right now I feel like eating ribs :)