We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth it to spend night with hill tribe in Chiang Mai?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Worth it to spend night with hill tribe in Chiang Mai?

I plan to book a tour with my hotel to go elephant riding, bamboo rafting, visit a hill tribe, and jungle trekking tomorrow. However, I was wondering what peoples experiences are with staying with a hilltribe overnight? Is it authentic enough and worth it|? or am I better off just skipping the overnight stay?

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth it to spend night with hill tribe in Chiang Mai?

It's almost a moral question. I don't do such things. Others do.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth it to spend night with hill tribe in Chiang Mai?

Most overnight stays are in "authentic" villages. The villages are where the people live and you will see their lifestyles. But are they "authentic" in that everyone is decked out in traditional garb and living the lifestyle described in anthropology books ... nope.

Most of the villages provide homestay accommodation specifically for tourists, often with slightly higher quality toilets (higher quality compared to what the villagers would normally have). It is a chance to see everyday life in the hills, but don't expect a Stanley & Livingston experience.

MaeHongSon
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth it to spend night with hill tribe in Chiang Mai?

Sounds like the typical and very commercial all-in-one 'elephant riding+trekking+bamboo rafting' package tours offered out of Chiang Mai.

Generally speaking any overnight hill tribe experiences from Chiang Mai, are likely to be at villages who receive tourists all the time.

For more authentic hill tribe villages and experiences, you need to head further out into the countryside away from the tourism scene of Chiang Mai

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth it to spend night with hill tribe in Chiang Mai?

Did a stay in a hilltribe village many many years ago. Don't know if it was "authentic" but it was so dirty that the whole experience was very unpleasant. For "authentic" experience, do not go as a tourist. Best to be an NGO worker.

5. Re: Worth it to spend night with hill tribe in Chiang Mai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:16