We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help.....Help

cairns
Level Contributor
519 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Help.....Help

Hi

We are traveling to Chiang Mai Feb/Mar we would like to have ago a booking the trip ourselves usually use agent but after reading this forum I feel we can get a better deal doing it ourselves. There will be three adults, our budget would be around $100 per night for acc would love to hear from the experts on what area we should stay in I have a bit of trouble walking to far so would like to be near the markets Restaurants and have a pool,is it warm enough to swim at that time of the year as we live in FNQ so we like it nice and warm.How long would you recommend for our stay i have been thing 10 days. Flights would be with Thai.

Thanking You All

mosiewigs

Chiang Mai, Chiang...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Help.....Help

A few bits of advice. With that budget you have many choices. Chiang Mai has 3 main areas in my opinion. The center of the city (called the old city), Tha Pae Gate, and the Night Bazzar. The center of the city is at Tha Pae Gate. You won't want to miss the Sunday Market (every Sun between 3pm - midnight) which runs down the entire length of this street (between the hotel Montry and Black Canyon Coffee).

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?ie=UTF8&cid=11329807256011745014&q=Tha+Pae+Gate&iwloc=A&gl=TH&hl=en

It's unique in that everything sold at this market is made by local artisans so many things you won't be able to find anywhere else in Thailand.

#2 The Night Bazzar is as described. It opens around 6 pm every evening so nothing is there in this Google day-time shop.

https://maps.google.co.th/maps?ie=UTF8&cid=11329807256011745014&q=Tha+Pae+Gate&iwloc=A&gl=TH&hl=en

You basically can find many of the things at the Sunday Market here but for a much higher cost.

#3 The center of the city (basically anywhere). Since about 30% of the center of the city is old Buhhdist Temples just pick any spot. You mention you don't care to walk alot. Friends of mine rented bicycles for 1 day (I think 100 bt/bike) and bicycled all around the center of the city. I would highly recommend this for visiting the temples. The city is dangerous to ride a moterbike, and paying tuk tuks to go everywhere will add up in cost. A bicycle is the safest and most efficent way to get around the inner city.

I know I haven't recommended any places to stay. If you focus on the center of the city or the Night Bazzar with Google Maps you have tons of choices and most you can contact through websites. Also, bear in mind only the more expensive places here run a website. If these are too pricey for you then book a place for 1 night and find a cheap place to stay when you arrive.

Good Luck. PS-April is the hottest month of the year and March is really close to that.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help.....Help

Have a look at Bodhi Serene as it gets good reviews on here. Someone else may be able to help with other suggestions. We booked all our trip for the first time last year and all went smoothly. There is plenty of transport available if you can't walk far so don't worry. We stayed at the riverside in Baan Orapin which was lovely but we like to walk so it may not be as suitable for you although there are plenty of tuk tuks etc going past all the time and our accommodation would arrange a taxi if we wished.

Good luck and have a wonderful time as we did!

Greensborough...
Level Contributor
432 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help.....Help

Definitely have a go at booking it all yourself.

I like the old city - perhaps you could look for somewhere in-between the old city and the night bazaar. You won't have too far to walk and if you find you get tired you can hop onto a songtaew or into a tuk tuk.

I have to disagree about only expensive hotels having websites. I have seen alot with very reasonable prices - however I tend to book through sites like agoda, sawadee and booking.com. With your budget of $100 you should be fine. I would not suggest booking one night then finding somewhere when you are there - especially since you have not been to CM before.

Have a look at hotelscombined

www.hotelscombined.com.au/City/Chiang_Mai.htm

Agoda

www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/chiang_mai.html

Booking.com

www.booking.com/city/th/chiang-mai.en.html

Sawadee.com

http://chiangmai.sawadee.com/

you might also like to try

directrooms

wego

Here are a few recent threads that give suggestions on hotels:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

tripadvisor.com.au/…42554956

Edited: 27 July 2012, 12:14
melbourne
Level Contributor
313 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help.....Help

Hope this might help you. I too have been busily researching where to stay so bear in mind I have not been to any of these places and all info is based on hours of Internet trawling!!

If you want to be near markets - I assume you men night bazaar? Royal princess chiang Mai / le meridien or royal lanna are super close and also place you not too far from Sunday market (I think).

If you are looking more for guesthouse / traditional stay type - I found the top garden boutique guesthouse looked fantastic and very reasonable price BUT no pool. Best location though.

Within the old city I thought SK House 2 looked good and has a pool. Also the twenty lodge looked excellent.

Personally I ended up booking at The Castle based on location and reviews on TA. If you go to google maps and just type in the name of one of them followed by Chiang Mai it will pin you. Then look at it on street view too.

Good luck.....

Greensborough...
Level Contributor
432 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help.....Help

Oh I forgot to mention too - we booked our flights with Thai also. We ended up booking through ZUJI - they had the best deal (better than Thai's own website).

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help.....Help

Do book yourselves - it isn't hard and this forum will is a wealth of information.

With your three adults are you thinking of sharing one room? That is a double and an extra bed? If so, it means you have far greater choice of hotel with a $100 budget rather than two rooms at $50. You will find when you put three people into the booking box for your hotel it will add an extra amount on to the standard room amount. This is because you require an extra bed and an extra breakfast. This is often around $25 - $30A a night. So do factor that in.

Have a look at Rimping Village, The Baan Orapin (a suite room which is large and has a sitting area), Sirilanna, Baan Klang Wiang or The Rim. There are far more options - but these all have a wonderful Thai atmosphere and decor.

Do check the prices on agoda.com and sawadee.com to compare to the price the hotel is offering.

You might also check out directrooms.com which compares 250 wholesalers for prices on a hotel and then sorts them from the cheapest price to most expensive - so you can easily see which wholesaler can offer you the best price.

Caroline.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help.....Help

This Sept will be our 5th trip to Chiang Mai. I too was very wary about booking flights and accomadation on line but have now done so for the last 4 years and its the best, saves alot of money and you are in control not someone wanting comission. I do all my flight bookings with either Expedia or BYO jet. My accomadation I generally seem to get the best prices from Agoda. We are 2 mid 50s woman who leave our husbands every year to return to a place we refer to as our second home. Chiang Mai will steal your heart. We always stay at Centara Duangtawan as it is central. It is a couple of blocks from the night market and we have always felt safe to walk either day ior night. It is close to restaurants and tuk tuks are available all day and night just outside. The best tuk tuk driver sits out the front of Le Meredin which is opposite; Mr. Chom. Centara have a lovely conceige who I suggest if you stay there get to know ; she will make sure you are not ripped off. Centara Duangtawan is a large hotel with a swimming pool on the 4th floor. You need a pool. Although the rooms are starting to show their age they are starting to renovate them slowly. We have never had any trouble with anything at Centara. I have 4 tips for you:

Always make eye contact with Thai people, just as we dislike people not speaking to us they too are very conscious of body language. You will fall in love with the northern Thai people 2 Take Hydralyte every day to re-hydrate you. My lifesaver from the heat and humidity. 3 Buy yourself Nancy Chancellors Map of Chiang Mai It helps me soo much 4 Always have a hotel card in your wallet with the address in thai this is great if you need a tuk tuk and the driver has limited english. Learnt from experience. 5 Hire a local guide for a day or 2 We have used Paul from Best tuk tuk Tours and can not speak highly enough about him. If you want to see the real northern thailand hire a guide Woops sorry that was 5 Have a great time reading up and researching Chiang Mai I love Trip Advisor There is soooo much to do in Chiang Mai I hope you love the place like we do.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help.....Help

We need more information from you to be able to make useful suggestions. For $100 a night you can get one very good hotel room in a 4 or 5 star place, or two pretty decent rooms in a 2,3 or possibly 4 star hotel. For first timers I'd suggest staying around the Thapae Gate area. Swimming weather will generally be hotter/more humid in Chiang Mai than it ever is in Cairns, or at least similar.

Do visit the Sunday market, the 1st reply mentions it runs past the Montry Hotel. This used to be the Montri Hotel but has now changed its name to Hotel M. It too might be an option for you to stay at as it is well located.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help.....Help

You also need to decide if you want a more traditional thai feel to your accommodation or a generic hotel. A lot of the high rise places we looked at when we were booking didn't have a balcony. We love to feel like we are in another country and either able to sit out on the balcony or in the garden (as we did at Baan Orapin) and also have the thai wood decor which we loved.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help.....Help

Hi Mosiewigs... I too have trouble walking too far (arthritic knees)... so I looked for a hotel that was close to the Sunday Walking Market in Chiang Mai, because I knew that was one place I didn't want to miss (I will be there in November). The hotel is called Vieng Mantra and the rate for a single room is about $65 in November; might be slightly more for you in February as that is full on high season...

Apparently, the hotel is about 1 minute walk to the street the Sunday Market is on, and there are many places to sit and rest along the route which runs several blocks and I think onto one or 2 other streets as well. I wanted to stay in the Old part of the city because there is so much to see and do - lots of wats and temples and great restaurants and good street food and tuktuks that are fun and safe to use (not like in BKK where it can be dangerous because of bad driving habits); but from all I've read over the past year, Chiang Mai seems to be a soft jewell in the midst of Thailand that captures the hearts of all who travel and stay there for awhile...

I'm sure you will love it. If your feet or knees get sore, just hail a tuktuk. Rates are cheap. You may not be able to ride a bicycle, depending on your limitations. I can't, so I will help some tuk tuk drivers bring home a little more baht for their families...

Also, handicraft villages outside of Chiang Mai, about 15 minutes drive, have wonderful wood carvings, ceramics, silk and fabric products - the list is endless. I highly recommend that you visit some of these places. Baan Tawai is good for wood carvings and many other things.

If you want to know the favoured places to stay in Chiang Mai, recommended by travellers who have stayed there, google "Chiang Mai Accommodations Trip Advisor" and you can not only see the hotels, guesthouses, etc., but see their rates and read reviews from people who have stayed there - they are also rated in popularity. I book through AGODA which I've used for several years - but there are others as seen in previous postings on this thread. Read the FAQS (top right of this page) to see "Things to Do", and many other helpful resources.

Have a wonderful trip!