We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks too long in CM?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks too long in CM?

I am reading so many posts from people planning to spend only several days in CM &, from the responses, that length of time seems to be OK to do heaps of things there as well as get out & about - see the countryside, hill tribes etc.

We don't make rigid plans - prefer to mosey around & get to know a place as well as take in the "must do" sights & activities.

But will 2 weeks be too long? Don't want a bored husband on my hands (although he is keen to try downhill mountain bike riding there).

Chiang Mai
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

I've lived here for over eight years and traveled here 2X's per year for a month each visit over a 12 year period prior to that. Still haven't seen everything and have never been bored! Does that answer your question? Marie (nannyre)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

Sort of answers my question. I guess you would have a lot of friends there after living in CM so long & going back so frequently so you'd have heaps to do just catching up with your mates. We lived in Bali for a while & for us going back there is not a typical tourist trip., either.

I'm thinking more about how the first time tourist feels. I spent a lovely week in CM in '75 but husband has never been there. So we will be first time tourists basically.

Thanks, Nanny, for your response.

Cheers,

Heather

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

We spent a week there and could easily go back as we didn't do everything. We spent a lot of time just walking around the city so we still have a lot of touristy things to do on our next trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,903 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

Two weeks is not too long, but if I had two weeks I would build in a side trip. Chiang Rai is a great side trip. See the Chiang Rai forum for the FAQs top 30 things to do and it will give you a good idea of the highlights of the area further North.

Very inexpensive and lots to see.

Caroline.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

Hi,

I agree with the others, two weeks in Chiang Mai would be my idea of bliss, there really is so much to do in and around the city. Caroline's suggestion of a side trip to Chiang Rai for a couple of days is also a very good idea, don't miss a day trip to Lamphun to see the temples there, it's an easy journey on the bus from Warowat market. You could even look at going to Sukhothai for a night to see the historic park there if you need another excursion, but I think the time will just disappear.

cheers

England
Level Contributor
1,540 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

Hi, Ive been twice for 3 days each time and after my last visit thought would not go back, not for a while anyway, it depends what you want from yourtime there, personally I would think 2 weeks is too much but thats only my opinion as I like going to the beach also.

Greensborough...
Level Contributor
432 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

2 weeks won't be too long if you do the side trip as Caroline suggested.

Just think about what you like to do on your holidays and how you like to fill your time. If you have to fill every moment with things to keep you occupied then 2 weeks will be too long. If you are happy doing activities/tours etc part of the time and just exploring/taking it easy the rest of the time then you will be fine.

We usually go for 10 days - making sure we get in 2 weekends as we love the Saturday and Sunday markets. I've been 5 times now (twice with my mum, once with husband and kids, once just with husband and once alone) - and going back in October with husband and sons. We haven't even done all the touristy things yet and we still love it.

Greensborough...
Level Contributor
432 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

CM isn't for everyone though. While reading through hundreds of reviews in the last few weeks I came across one where the reviewer not only left their guesthouse after one night but CM as well because it "wasn't for them"!

We can all tell you that you will like it there and that 2 weeks won't be too long but I think you need to do plenty of research and decide for yourself.

Have a good read through the forums etc here. Google Chiang mai and read travel blogs etc. (Although I'm sure you have already done all that!)

http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/

www.gothailand.com/chiang-mai/areas.htm

http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/thailand/

lonelyplanet.com/thailand/…travelblogs

adventurouskate.com/chiang-mai-is-not-for-ev…

travbuddy.com/Chiang-Mai-travel-blogs-631369

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

side trip to Chiang rai a great idea,and for a few days of CHEAP bliss have a look at Bamboo Nest.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks too long in CM?

GREAT info - thank you all very much.

Yes, intended to do a side trip or 2 as well as day trips. We tend not to race about doing things & like to wander around absorbing the ambience of places we visit. I very much think we will have a wonderful time in & near Chiang Mai. Only negative is that I leave on 24th November & so will miss the lantern festival (husband leaves a few days earlier to go to Nepal for a few weeks).

Again, thank you for all your most informative replies - much appreciated & very helpful.

Heather