We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather end of July

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Weather end of July

Hi all

Starting to plan for next year, coming out 20July staying 6 nights in CM then bus up to Chiang Rai for 3 nights then down to Hua Hin for 7 nights.

My main concern is going to be the weather in CM and CR, I know it cant be predicted, but what can we expect, a couple of hours rain at night or in the afternoon or all day/night. I can cope with an hour or 2 off rain each day but not all day and night.

cheers

Tattieheid

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Hua Hin
Hua Hin
Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, Thailand
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
567 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather end of July

Like you assumed, it really can't be predicted. Most of the time its and hour or two a day, but that is also the main rainy season where we can and do get all day torrential downpours. Most people just learn to live with the rain(carry an umbrella/poncho) and make do. There is still a lot to do and see in CM and CR when its raining.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,274 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather end of July

It's rainy season , but you still can travel in Chiang Mai visit waterfall,I think there kind of green everywhere. In Chiang Rai visit Mae Suai.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai
Chiang Rai Province, Thailand
Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather end of July

We were there for the whole of July and firstly, it didn't rain every day and secondly, when it did the storms usually lasted 20-30 minutes and within 15 minutes everything was dry again. Much better weather than your average British summertime!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
532 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather end of July

We've been to Thailand 4 times in September - the worst month for rain. No rain at all on our recent trip - last year the only rain was on the last night and the previous 2 trips only a shower or two. Every holiday planned all over the world has the chance of bad weather. I always feel sorry for holidaymakers here on the Gold Coast when we have an unusual bad patch of weaher. All you can do is cross your fingers and hope for sun and if theres a turn for the worse its very warm in CM so its a great way to cool down.

Mentioned in this post
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather end of July

July showers are not anything to worry about, they tend to be short afternoon or evening rains. While there is always a chance for an all day rain, that isn't that common and July is usually fine for sightseeing. The biggest concern would be muddy, slippery trails if you are planning a trek.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather end of July

Thanks folks for all the replies, seems like we would have to be really unlucky to have any full days of rain then. So will probably just go for it and take our chance.

Thanks again for putting my mind at rest.

Tattieheid

7. Re: Weather end of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 03:18