We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guest House recommendation?

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Guest House recommendation?

I have 3 nights booked at Top Garden GH before I travel north for 3 days, and then I return to CM for a week over Christmas.

I am looking for a guest house in a different location, but still either within the old town, or 5-10 minutes stroll away - maybe on another side of the old town (if that makes any sense!).

I have looked at some riverside locations but am a bit concerned that I'll spend every evening walking to and from the old town.

I like small, friendly places in a busy spot, but where I can still get some sleep!

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks

Trisha

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guest House recommendation?

Baan Orapin! Nuff said!!!! Tuk tuk, sixty baht each way, easy.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guest House recommendation?

Hi missindy,

We've recently returned from staying at the Top Garden Boutique Guesthouse in Chiang Mai and absolutely loved it!!! We loved the location, the rooms were large and very comfortable, the common areas were very relaxing, and the staff were just lovely (Thunya and Nok were so helpful, Victor was away at the time of our stay). You've definitely made a good choice there (in our opinion).

In terms of finding another place to stay on your return... We're returning to Chiang Mai in April 2013 and due to the heat at that time (it's the hottest time of the year in Thailand) decided we wanted to stay somewhere with a swimming pool (which is the ONLY reason we're not staying at Top Garden next time).

Also a consideration during our searching was that we are in Chiang Mai for Songkran (Thai New Year) so wanted to be near/in the Old Town (where the celebrations are centred), and for that reason we decided against any of the guesthouses near the river (on either side).

Finally we didn't want to break the budget. We found Top Garden to be great value at THB600 per night (A$20 per night), and while we knew we would be paying peak period rates at Songkran, we didn't want to pay much more per night (which unfortunately for us ruled out places like Baan Orapin at THB2100-2400 per night for their cheapest room).

We've ended up choosing to stay at Awanahouse ( http://www.awanahouse.com/english/room.htm ). Reviews on TripAdvisor are very good: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g293917-d120…

Location wise it is just a smidge, "a stone's throw", or a "hop, skip and jump" inside Thapae Gate (down the first Soi off Th Ratchadamnoen), literally a couple of minutes walk (we checked out the location while in Chiang Mai recently).

Price wise it's not much more than Top Garden, even during the "Special rate" period applied for Songkran and the Christmas-New Year period! We've decided to stay in their biggest room which includes a double bed, a bunk bed, TV, mini-fridge, and a balcony with mountain view for just THB950 per night. Being a mother and daughter travelling together we need separate beds, though had we been a couple travelling together we could have stayed in a double room for as little as THB600 per night (we decided to treat ourselves which is why we're not staying in the Twin Room for THB800 per night)!

Anyway, food for thought :-)

Lise & Sabrina

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guest House recommendation?

Hi Lise and Sabrina

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such valuable information and I'm delighted to hear your comments about Top Garden. If they could accomodate me on my return to CM I would have been very happy to be there over Christmas.

Awanahouse looks very tempting and they have some availability, but not what I want. The choices were - to split my stay between 2 different rooms, a room without a window, or a room with shared bathroom. I also had some concerns about the contruction work next door, and am uncomfortable with paying 50% in advance.

So the search continues..........

Thank you again for your advice.

Happy travels!

Trisha

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guest House recommendation?

Ah well, it was worth a try ;-)

We've paid the 50% in advance, but we were fortunate that we could get one room for the whole stay. Also, we didn't mind paying through Paypal as it's somewhat more secure than other methods we've had to use in the past :-)

We reckon the hardest thing will be narrowing your choices down to one place - that's the difficulty we faced.

Happy searching,

Lise & Sabrina

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,138 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guest House recommendation?

Hi Leesree and Sabrina,

Can I twist your arm to write a trip report. We LOVE trip reports on this forum... please.....

Tisha, Have a look at Tanita House. It is on the riverside strip - not far from the Baan Orapin. Beautiful Lanna style buildings, very Nth Thai style. No pool unfortunately but very popular. There are a lot of wonderful guest houses in Chiang Mai - these are great choices for soaking up the local atmosphere and culture.....

You might also like to look at Vanilla Place - it is in the riverside, Warorot Market area - it's had great reviews lately.

Another one I would highly recommend is Baan Hanibah - again a small family run place with wonderful reviews. It's in the old city up to the right from the Tha Phae Gate.

Have fun choosing - lots of great options for you.

Caroline.

ps. if your budget stretches - I agree with the previous poster, have a look at the Baan Orapin. It is just wonderful. Very hard to beat.

Edited: 10 November 2012, 10:37
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guest House recommendation?

Hi Caroline,

We promise we will, it's on the list of "things that need to be done since we got back", which seems to be a verrrrry long list!

But it will happen...

L&S

;-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guest House recommendation?

We are staying at the Top Garden too from December 21 - 25, 2012. Victor and Thunya have been great in responding to all our queries. This is our first time in Chiang Mai and I am so excited.

rukie1

Edited: 11 November 2012, 03:25
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guest House recommendation?

So rukie1 - you're the reason Top Garden can't fit me in on those dates!

I'm there 18th - 21st, then I go north for a few days and then back to CM for Christmas.

We must compare notes when we get back.

Enjoy!

Trisha

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guest House recommendation?

Trisha I am so sorry about that.

May be we might bump into each other. Our flight arrives at 9:20 a.m. and so hopefully I might see you. On the 25th our flight is at 10:10 a.m. to Bangkok. I would love to compare the notes.

Planning to do the one day trip the Chiang Rai and golden triangle from Chiang Mai, Doi Suthep and Doi Inthanon. I haven't booked. Victor said I can book them once I get there. The rest of the time just explore on our own and enjoy the Thai food and Chiang Mai.

Have fun.

rukie1

Edited: 11 November 2012, 16:27
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guest House recommendation?

I was only joking rukie1........at least I get a few days at TG!

This will be my second visit to CM. I was there last Christmas - but only for 4 days which I spent just wandering. I loved it so much I'll be there again in a few weeks for longer this time.

You'll have a great time!

Caroline, I just loved Baan Hanibah (I think I had passed over it expecting it to be $$$) but sadly they only have odd days available during my week. They have promised to contact me if any provisional bookings don't confirm.

The search continues........

Thanks all.

Trisha