We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

We are a family of 6 with kids ranging from 12 - 18 years. We'll be in CM for 6 days, including Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

It would be good for our family to feel the Christmas spirit on those occasions. Does anyone please know if there are any public events planned to celebrate this Christian festival in any form? Where should we go please to seek this out?

Also, we would like to book a couple of different Thai restaurants serving good food for those two special nights. As we'll be in Thailand, we would prefer to eat lovely Thai food rather than eat a traditional Christmas feast.

Thank you for any help that you can give us.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,952 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

Christmas is not really celebrated in Thailand, but things may be laid on for westerners. Some of the DE's who are residents of Chiang Mai should be able to point you in the right direction.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

There won't be any public celebrations, but the few churches will have services, malls will have xmas decorations, and western themed restaurants and bars (& tourist hotels) will have special menus. As Cassnu says, its not a holiday in Thailand. The city will have lots of decorations but most are to honour the King's birthday.

USA
Level Contributor
88 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

Hi,

Please find link below to City Life Magazine it gives you many choices in Chiang mai www.chiangmainews.com/ecmn/viewfa.php?id=576

I am not sure if the link will work if not just look it up or cut / copy & paste into your browser.

Prices vary quite considerably some in my opinion too expensive anyway Happy Christmas.

Edited: 15 December 2012, 07:03
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

Thank you for these responses. I clicked on the link that you gave me in the most recent post - terrific! Merry Xmas to all of you and see you soon Chiang Mai!

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

Devofamily the prices the link refers to may have changed.

Vol. 12 No. 12 December 2003

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

Maybe you could find something in here.

www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=1154

Have fun

USA
Level Contributor
88 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

I do not know here you will be staying but Thae Phae Gate is generally the focal point of all Chiang Main tourist Activities & I am sure that there will be Christmas & New Year Celebrations there. These performances are really very good in atmosphere etc. Let me know where you are staying & if I can I will point you in the right direction. However most Thai in this area understand basic English.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

In terms of "public events" there really isn't much of anything here. New Year's gets celebrated at Tha Pae & other venues, but other than Christmas decor in the shopping malls and hotels, it is a pretty low key holiday.

As globetrotter's link pointed out, there are some Christmas dinner offerings but they tend to revolve around traditional holiday foods. If you are looking for Thai foods, everything will be open as usual those nights, so easy to find good Thai choices.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,925 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

There is a large Catholic Church in Chiang Mai which welcomes all visitors to services. They have English speaking services. We have been at Easter a couple of times.

It is called Sacred Heart Cathedral and it is on Charoen Prathet Road. It isn't too far from the night bazaar area, on the river. We are not Catholic but enjoyed the services there - about half Thai people and half expats and visitors. The music was really nice.

For places to eat - see the FAQ - top right of this page - there is one on dining in Chiang Mai.

All the best for your trip.

Caroline.

10. Re: Help please re Christmas 2012 in Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 05:17