We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

Hi people,

We are thinking of visiting Chang Mai in February 2013 and was wondering what the weather would be like. Also do you think 5 days is enough to stay and see everything or should we stay longer. Is Le Meridien hotel in a good location?

Can you book tour online here in australia or should you book them once you get there?

Thanks everyone rock on!

Lanna Kingdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Untouched Thailand
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Chiang Mai Tour Center
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Chiang Mai Biking
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
997 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

5 days in chiang mai is enough to see main things,,,but i could stay forever

Pat

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
199 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

5 days would be a good stay, especially if you decide to do a cooking school or elephant experience for a day or two.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

Hi

In north general the weather from November to February are nicer than other time of the year as its cooler. It's actually winter for northern region.

For the tour wait until you get there you will have more choices. 5-7 days stay you will only covers main things as old pat says.

Cheers,

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

5 days will certainly be sufficient to whet your appetite for Chiang Mai, and you can do many of the off the shelf tourist things like the Samoeng Loop and its sights and tourist "traps", a cookery class and a trip up to Doi Suthep.

We will be in our cool season which means crisp evenings requiring sleeves and warm, pleasant days.

My advice is wait until you arrives and find a street-side tour desk and go over the brochures. since travel agents have only a fraction of what the local services provide, you can really tailor an itinerary very quickly with hotel pick-up and return.

Le Meridian is on Chang Klan road, where the night bazaar forms up every afternoon, and just a short stroll to the old city - you could not be better placed or served unless you had chosen one of the many boutique style hotels in the old city itself.

Enjoy yourself

Edited: 02 December 2012, 00:17
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

HIi Tim,

Could you please give me some names of the boutique accommodation in the old city please?

Thank you to everyone for your response, much appreciated! Looks like we'll definitely be there in February!

ROCK ON!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,188 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

Le Meredien is in a good location. It is right in the night bazaar area - stall wrap around two sides of the hotel. The area is a bit bland during the day, but from around 5pm it comes to life. Lots of places to eat and drink. The old city is only a short distance away as well.

5 days is the minimum time to cover the main sights and soak up some of the atmosphere of Chiang Mai.

Caroline.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

Hi Danaskully,

A favourite that always ranks well is Tamarind Village, Rachamanka is also a big hit.

Here is a website that lists most of them;

http://www.verychiangmai.com/oldtown.html

Bear in minds this is a "feeder" site designed to lead you to the Agoda Travel Agency , but you can always look up these properties independently to compare rates....

I hope you enjoy Chiang Mai, I came here 11 years ago as a dyed-in-the-wool Sydneysider where my last home was the Finger Wharf and have simply never left, that may say something about my state of mind - but what I can say is, I have never had a single boring day here - love it,

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

That's awesome Tim, because we live in Wollstonecraft near Milsons Point.

Thanks for the info everyone, now I'm armed and know what to do.

Merry Christmas everyone and a very Happy new Year!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

Hmm well i lived in Wisdom Rd Greenwich when i finally got back to Sydney after being "sentenced" to Auckland, Melbourne and Canberra by my firm :) and then Bank Street Waverton B4 meeting my last partner that saw me move to Whale Beach, then back to the city and the Finger Wharf.

If you are free for coffee or would like to try one of my favourite Thai restaurants when you arrive let me know...you can reach me anytime via the contact form on this website;

http://esolsea.com - my Bangkok Office or;

http://lannamoon.com - my humble, finally settled - Chiang Mai abode.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chang Mai - Northern Thailand

We stayed in Rimping Village for 4 days at end of Nov, small hotel with excellent service so i wud recommend it and i will go back there sometime on the future.