We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

I am planning to take a bus or train from Chiang Mai to Phitsanulok on Feb. 10 or 11th. Will there be a lot of people travelling at this time? Should I buy a ticket a few days in advance because of this possibility?

Will it affect other places I'm travelling in the Isan region - Loei, Chiang Khan, Nong Khai, etc. re availability of seats on buses, trains?

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,151 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

Hi,

Yes, generally it's a busy time on all forms of transport, book as early as you can.

Cheers

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

Thanks, Paulo...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

I prefer you buy a ticket in advance is better. Weekend or holiday will have a lot of people travelling.

Have a good day :)

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

Hi, Feb is still considered a high season in Thailand and with the holidays in the Asian countries, it will be busy. For train tickets (especially if you are looking at sleeping berths), it should be booked way ahead of time irrespective of of whether there is festive holidays or not. So yes, please do book all your tickets and probably even hotels in advance.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

We avoid travelling anywhere in SE Asia at Chinese New Year - it's just such a hassle. As Judy said, Feb is still high season in Thailand, so you have a double banger (and literally in the case of CNY - ie fireworks).

It's virtually mandatory for locals to travel home to spend CNY with their families, so public transport is a nightmare (in my opinion).

I'm glad I'm living overseas and have an excuse not to travel "home". Frankly, I now steer well clear of travel anywhere in SE Asia at that time. I know a lot of foreigners want to visit at CNY to experience something different, but for me they're welcome to it.

Oh, and do beware of local youths, especially in CM, who think it's great fun to target solo females and throw firecrackers just behind them to scare the heck out of them. Happened to me and more so to "farang" friends and colleagues.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

How long does CNY last? I will be leaving Chiang Mai for Phitsanulok probably on Feb.11th and travelling through northeast for 9 days before going back to Bangkok Feb. 19th.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

Hi

First of all never heard such a thing of mandatory of the locals to travel home ( maybe in other country where Chinese are the majority) in Thailand. As we all know Chinese new year is not big thing in Thailand ( yes some do celebrate in certain area but not the whole country). Also is NOT PUBLIC HOLIDAY in Thailand.

Yes Feb is still in peak season bracket but I do think it will not make much more impact than that. If its THAI NEW YEAR ( Songkran ) then is would be different story. But as Paul suggested is the weekend so book in advance if possible.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 07:02
perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

Normally 2 days the 9th ( eve ) and the 10th pay respect to ancestor and elders ( this info is based on a friend who is Thai - Chinese)

Hope this help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

It starts on Feb 9th and goes until the 13th. Public transport will be crowded from 8th to 13th, I believe, and then Valentine's Day is the next day, which (for some strange reason) has become a huge deal in SE Asia. I'm guessing a lot of people, esp young folk, will extend their CNY to include this day.

Can you possibly reschedule to a couple of weeks later?

I always avoid the big holidays/events. Years ago, I didn't, but then it was way less crowded with tourists - I mean for Loy Krathong etc.

Edited: 26 January 2013, 07:08
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,897 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will Chinese New Year February 9... affect transport?

No, there's no way I can reschedule my trip for 2 weeks later... nor would I want to! There's no need for that. I am well organized as far as trip arrangements, hotels, etc are concerned. I will be travelling from Chiang Mai to Phitsanulok on a Monday, so not on a weekend, and I already have a booked and paid for hotel reservation in Phitsanulok, as I do in Loei, as I do in Chiang Khan, Nong Khai and Nakhon Phanom. I doubt very much there will be a problem getting on a bus or a train to Phitsanulok. I will have lots of time in Chiang Mai to either go to the train stn or the bus stn and buy the required ticket well in advance of my departure date. No worries!