We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

i was thinking of renting a motorbike initially but we do not have a valid license and many people died in traffic accident in thailand... so is there any other alternative to travel out of town? like wat phra that doi suthep and also to get up to the highest point of the mountain in chiang mai

Chiang Klang...
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

There is a scheduled songtaew service that runs to the top of Doi Suthep. Just ask at your hotel where to catch it.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

Hi,

To get to Doi Inthanon, it's better to hire a car and driver. Either your hotel or one of the many tour shops in CM can help you out. You could also look for recommended drivers in the 'Top Questions' upper right.

For Doi Sutep you can also hire a Songthaew from anywhere in the city to take you but you will need to negotiate a price and it will be more expensive than the regular songthaews that run from the zoo entrance up to the wat.

cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

o thank you but it's a cheaper alternative than riding or driving there right??

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

o thanks! but at doi suthep is there songtaew back to the city??

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,994 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

Hi,

Yes, if you hire one then the driver will wait and take you back to the city. If you take the scheduled ones then when you've finished at the wat you just go and get one back down. You will wait until they fill up.

For Doi Inthanon, the cheapest way to get there would be to join a tour which are readily available. Having your own driver would let you do a few other things on the way there or back (like Ban Tawai). Cost should be somewhere between 2-3000B for a car and driver.

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

o thanks! so there will be songtaew below wat phra that doi suthep?

wow it's actually kind of ex to hire a car and a driver!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

I used to take songthaew from Doi Suthep to Warorot market cost 60 baht. You can ask or tell a driver where will you go. I think he/she can drop you off at the city.

Have a good day :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

wow! quite cheap! thanks man!

but is it not recommended to ride a motorbike in chiang mai???

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

After seeing how the traffic is now while I'm here in Chiang Mai, I certainly wouldn't want to be riding a motorbike here. The traffic is crazy.... and I am not kidding. I don't recommend you ride a motorbike in Chiang Mai. Too dangerous.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how do i get to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep?

After seeing how the traffic is now while I'm here in Chiang Mai, I certainly wouldn't want to be riding a motorbike here. The traffic is crazy.... and I am not kidding. I don't recommend you ride a motorbike in Chiang Mai. Too dangerous.