We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has Green Bus Closed Down????

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Has Green Bus Closed Down????

Hi Guys,

Approximately a few million years ago, I asked Green Bus Thailand for some schedules as, for whatever reason, I could not access them from their website!

Is there a secret code? I'm a patient person but I'm starting to lose my sweet disposition.

Have they closed down?

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

A traveler just posted recently cost VIP bus ticket CR to CM around $5-6.

Go to FAQ Getting Around to locate post.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 20:00
Colden, New York
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

I have this saved in my trips.

http://www.sawadee.com/transfer/bus-north.htm

Scroll down to get to CM to CR and CR to CM.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 20:04
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

Still going, here is a link to the site.

…greencorporatethai.com/en/…

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,995 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

See the FAQ on the right of this page - travel from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. You will have trouble getting a reply back from the Green Bus company. Most of the web page is in Thai and you can't book ahead online. My reading is that they don't have much of an interest in being a travel agent as such - they fill the buses from bookings they receive there.

The best bet is to know what you want to do and as soon as you get to Chiang Mai go to the bus station and book your return tickets. We always do it this way and have never had a problem getting four tickets.

If you somehow stuck a really bus time and couldn't get the Green VIP bus - there are other first class buses with similar comfort that leave regularly. I'm sure you will get on something.

Also - there is at least one travel agent up in the old city that sells the Green VIP bus tickets (with a surcharge on top). We did this last time but only found out at the bus station that what we had been issued with wasn't a ticket - it was a booking receipt that had to be exchanged for actual tickets at the station. The line was over 40 people long at the ticket booth. So we went direct to the bus and they bought us back and jumped the queue to exchange our voucher. In all it was a huge hassle and I would go direct to book in future.

Caroline.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

The secret code for email inquiries is to write your question in the language of the intended reader.

I'm sure there are equally as many miffed Thai people out there, who have written to Aussie service providers, in thai, seeking information, and never received a response.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

When I arrived in Chiang Mai Feb. 3-8, on my 2nd day there, I went by tuktuk to the bus station and bought my tickets to and from Chiang Rai that day - it is a bit chaotic in that bus station, but I found the Thai assistants helpful in getting me into the cue to buy tickets. Buy early and then you don't have to worry about whether or not you'll get a good seat or even the type of bus you prefer.

I must say that just because you take a VIP or Green Bus, does not mean you'll get a good driver... I had a fine driver on the way up to Chiang Rai, but on the way back to Chiang Mai, the driver on a 10 am bus, was obviously sleep deprived (I could see his reflection in the mirror and he was actually nodding off and then sort of shaking himself awake) - this while driving at high speed and taking the corners so fast, that the passengers were sort of shoved to the outside of their seats because of the speed and the way he was driving.

It is one of the scariest bus rides I've ever had, and I actually got up finally and knocked on the door to the partition where the hostess and driver sit; I told the hostess person that the bus driver was falling asleep at the wheel and that he needed to stop and get a coffer or something, or we were going to have a serious accident.... and I am by far not a nervous traveller... She just laughed at me and sent me back to my seat and I could hear her and the bus driver laughing..

As fate would have it, shortly after that, we were stopped in a police road block and they came on board and checked all our passports. After they left, the driver slowed down and drove more carefully for the last part of the trip to Chiang Mai. Very scary experience and not much you can do in that situation.

I think, but don't know, that most bus drivers for VIP service may be very good? I hope so, as on my bus, we came very close to having a serious accident. The road is very twisty and lots of sharp turns in places, but very scenic and I highly recommend the trip. I guess my point is: if you feel the driver is not driving safely, stand up and say so.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,995 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

skeezix - what a terrible trip back. On our last trip back on the Green VIP, I sat right in the front row (behind the hostess) - this seat has a window so you can see straight out in front. I spent the whole trip glued to watching the winding road - couldn't relax at all. They do take that road pretty fast. I think next time I'll ask for a seat near the back.

Caroline.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,877 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

Hi Caroline,

I was sitting across the aisle in the 2nd row back and could see his reflection in that glass window you refer to... That's how I knew he was sleep deprived because I could see him very clearly in the reflection in that glass. It was pretty unnerving! Especially at 10 am in the morning! I could understand it at night but this was very bizarre.

I don't want to put people off doing this trip as the scenery - especially for the first 1 1/2 hours going up to Chiang Rai is quite dramatic and lovely... for the last part of the drive, the scenery was not quite as good, but still very interesting as we passed through several small towns and could see a bit of Thai life as we drove along...

Chiang Rai itself is great, and the White Temple is definitely a "must-see"...

Also the Saturday Night Market is wonderful - much larger than I expected and there is great Thai music at the open air eating spot in the center of it all, with lots of small restaurants around a square that has small stalls lining it.

Great place to unwind, enjoy great cheap Thai food and sit and listen to great music... There were some ladyboys who came up on stage while I was sitting there and that was quite entertaining!

Edited: 24 February 2013, 07:45
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

Good on you for speaking up about your concerns to the bus crew.

That laughter may well have been a face saving way for her, the hostess, to deliver "the message" to the driver without making him speed up in anger.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,995 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has Green Bus Closed Down????

I agree FourB2..... good on you for speaking up.

Skeezix - are you home again now? Shirry only has one day left. I have been so jealous! Have to wait until later in the year until we are back.

So glad you got there and loved it so much.

Caroline.