We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

Hello folks...

I'm a thirty-something Irish guy visiting Chiang Mai in the second week of April, first time to Chiang Mai, first time to Thailand in fact.

I am planning on going on a 2/3 day trek during my time in Chiang Mai, but looking for accommodation for a night or two to get me settled.

Because I'm on my own, I am thinking a good hostel where I can possibly meet up with others. Budget is not an issue (within reason), prefer to pay a little more for better quality. I know that probably means a hotel, but torn between having somewhere nice to stay (i.e. a good hotel) OR going for a hostel and maybe meeting more people???

Any advice or recommendations are welcome!

Thanks!!!

Edited: 14 March 2013, 13:08
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
538 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

I think you are looking for, what is referred to locally as, a guesthouse. You have your own room with bathroom but are going to be surrounded by other travelers within the common areas. No problem meeting many people of the same mind set as you. Most of Thailand is set up like that, 2nd week or April is before Songkran so you can just show up and find a room.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

I agree - choose the right guesthouse and you'll meet lots of people AND have somewhere nice to stay.

Click on "Hotels" at the top of this page, and then on "B&B and Inns" and you'll get reviews. You can then filter the list to "Solo" - I find it useful to read what single guests have to say re the opportunity to meet people.

If you prefer to find somewhere on arrival, head for Soi 6 Moonmuang Rd - it's a great area in the old town with many guest houses, coffee shops, bars, travel agents etc etc.

Do let us know what you decide.

Happy travels!

Tisha

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

Great advice guys... will certainly explore the Guest House route, sounds ideal? Tripadvisor accommodation reviews has been a great resource for planning my trip so far.

So next question would be if anyone can recommend any guest house in particular???

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

Thanks missindy and CNXSteve!

Edited: 14 March 2013, 17:39
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

A few guest houses you might want to have a look at - Top Garden, Funky Monkey, Pak Chiang Mai, Charcoa, Vanilla Place, 3 Sis Bed and Breaksfast, Parasol Inn, Tanita House - although none of these have pools which is a downside.

Baan Thai Village has a pool and a good location inbetween the night bazaar and the old city - it is well worth a look.

From there you move to mid range small hotel/B&B's - many of these have pools. De Lanna, Bodhi Serene, The Baan Orapin, Raming Lodge - are three in this category.

Caroline.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

I suggest the Funky Monkey , David and Nuy are fantastic people and very very helpful. The Funky Monkey Guest house is in a great spot .

…blogspot.com.au/2013/02/chiang-mai.html

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
44 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

Second week of April is "just" before Songkran, so places will be very booked up. Songkran starts on the 13th but usually gets going on the 12th in Chiang Mai. Strongly recommend making bookings immediately. I am aware of places which are already booked for most of April. Public transportation (bus, plane, train) will also be heavily impacted.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

Booked Top Garden for 3 nights by email directly via their website. Good communications and had reply that day with a couple of follow-up emails since. Looking forward to my stay in Chiang Mai :-)

Thanks to all for info and advice!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

I stayed in TG and am sure you'll be happy there. And only a few weeks till you go!

Do come back and let us know how you get on.

Trisha

Edited: 17 March 2013, 21:50
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
538 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo traveller, hotel v's Hostel ???

Re: booked by email.

make sure you reconfirm once or twice before getting here. This is not about TOP GARDEN, but just reservations over internet/email. We've had many friends/acquaintances that have had problems upon arrival. This includes guest houses/tours etc. Nothing is set in stone until you have paid an are in your room/on your tour.