We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I will be travelling to Chiang Mai for the first time in January next year.

we arrive at midday on a Sunday and depart at 3pm the following Thursday.

Any advice on the best things to do/place to stay in our limited time would be much appreciated (I am gradually getting through lots of posts on the forum)

We are in our late 20's, are more rugged/rustic/personal accommodation sort of people than upmarket hotels.

I like shopping and he likes adventure :) Would love to do a trek of some form and get to see a bit of the beautiful areas and learn more about the culture.

This will be the last leg of our trip having just spent 10 days with my whole family down in the Kata area, then 5 days in Koh Lanta alone and 3 days in Bangkok alone.

All advice is welcomed :)

Thanks!!!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,381 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Hi,

We stayed by the river at the Riverside House (by no means upmarket) during our last visit to Chiang Mai. It's within a ten-minute walk from the night market and twenty minutes from the centre. Lots of Temples to visit which I am sure you have read about. In terms of hiking and natural beauty you could consider Chiang Dao which is 1.5 hours away by bus.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Have a look at the B&B and guesthouses as they sound like the type of accomodation you are after. Tanita house is a lovely place near the river. Baan Orapin is a lovely B&B just up from there. There are so many places to stay in Chiang Mai that you are spoilt for choice.

As far as things to do, have a look at the right of this page. Top questions about Chiang Mai has lots of activites listed.

estepona
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Look at CM apartments, soi 7, Moon muang. New, cheap, quiet soi but good cheap eating places and good bars nearby withlive bands. Great area. Things to do: Elephant Trip, a trek on Do Inthanon mountain villages, doi suthep temple, night bazaar. Many things-your time will go to quickly and you wil want to come back!!

Port Louis
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Hi Everyone,

I am travelling to chiang mai next week for some furniture shopping.

Any suggestion of the address is welcomed.

thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

PetaEllen,

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find some of the FAQ's on the right of this page will really help you.

As you can imagine - what to do etc are questions that get asked regularly. We have a top 20 things to do and tips for first timers in the FAQ - with lots of ideas added by forum members. Also one on dining out - alternate activities etc.

Chiang Mai has lots of wonderful ambient guest houses and they are excellent value. Not knowing the kind of budget you are looking at makes it hard to recommend, but you might want to look at these as a starting point -

Ban Thai Village, The Baan Orapin, Rimping Village, Shewe Wanna, Rich Lanna (all have pools).... Charcoa, Pak Chaing Mai, 3 Sis B&B, Early Bird, Parasol Inn (no pools)

As you are arriving on Sunday you will be there for the weekly Sunday Night Walking Street Market - which is a highlight. It runs down the middle of the old city and is a bit like a street festival - music, food, lots of stalls and colour.

Caroline.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Hiya...

I'm in Chiang Mai for the first time at the moment. Staying at the Top Garden Boutique guesthouse. I can more than recommended, very clean, owners so helpful and within walking distance of everywhere.

Enjoy your trip!

Sydney
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Thanks for your advice Caroline (i have now read MANY of your posts)

I am most excited about the night markets :)

Is it holiday time already?? I can hardly wait

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,983 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Sounds like a good trip in the making. :)

We stayed at Raming Lodge Hotel, which is near Tha Pae Gate. It was a very convenient location walking distance from the old city, some wats, and the Saturday walking street. (Not sure where exactly the Sunday walking street is, but I doubt it would be far!) We found the hotel to be comfortable and appropriately mid-range, and the price was certainly right. (I don't live a life of luxury, but basic accommodations in Thailand don't seem very appealing!)

Chiang Mai really caters to the adventure type, as we saw all kinds of things available to do. We opted to hire a car and driver for the day. We went to Tiger Kingdom, then did some ziplining and rode elephants. Sounds like you might enjoy a similar itinerary.

The Saturday walking street had all kinds of clothes, trinkets, and knick-knacks available for sale, so you should be able to get your shopping fix at the Sunday version as well.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Hi, I stay at Log Home Boutique when in Chiang Mai and it is in a great location, very friendly and helpful and very reasonably priced. I'm not sure what the weather is like in January as both of my visits have been in April but there were quite a lot of people checking into Log Home from other hotels just becuase it has a pool which is a huge asset.

I also use and highly recommend Best Tuk Tuk Tours for site seeing.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 Days in Chiang Mai.....what to do/where to stay??

Hi

I stayed at Riverside Guest house which is close to markets, the river, eating places and they have a tour counter with very friendly staff when you would like to book a tour. It is a very comfortable place to stay with a swimming pool, breakfast daily and it's beautiful garden. The rooms are large and clean. Enjoy your stay like I did