We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8-10 days over christmas - how to spend them?

Wales
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
8-10 days over christmas - how to spend them?

Hi, we will arrive in northern Thailand on the 21st December and will be there until around the 30th/31st December. We have never been there before and I am having trouble trying to work out how long to spend in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Pai or should we just go to one or 2 of those places? We are a couple in our early 50's and will probably want to do day trips rather than overnight ones.

Thanks

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,741 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8-10 days over christmas - how to spend them?

I have been in CM the last 2 years at Christmas. I enjoyed my first brief visit so much that I allocated 12 nights for my second. I booked my first 3 nights accommodation and my last 7 nights in 2 different guest houses in CM, and when I arrived I arranged a trip to CR for 2 nights.

I particularly wanted to be in CM for Christmas day which dictated the 3/2/7 night split - otherwise I would have done 5/2/5.

I would suggest something similar, although in hindsight I would have enjoyed a guided trip with two or three places of interest included, more than just CR.

You will find lots of tours on offer when you get to CM and even though it's a busy time, you won't have any problem with availability. Your guest house or hotel will also be keen to help you make plans. Take an overnight bag with you and you will be able to leave your large luggage at your accommodation.

Enjoy!

Trisha

PS I'll be back there this December!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,529 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8-10 days over christmas - how to spend them?

Hi,

If you like natural beauty and mountains Chiang Dao is worth a visit. You could arrange transport and get there and back (from Chiang Mai) in a day. Otherwise it makes for a wonderful overnight or two.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,074 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8-10 days over christmas - how to spend them?

With 12 days, I would keep it to two places.

Have a read of some of the FAQs on the forum pages (see right hand side) - The Chiang Rai forum has a great FAQ (top 30 things to do). These might help you decide what there is to see and do and what appeals.

One thing to keep in mind - the larger hotels usually have a compulsory Christmas and New Years dinner - if you stay the cost is added to your room bill.

These can very quite expensive.

If you go for one of the smaller, boutique style hotels or a B&B you won't have this problem.

It is a great time of year to be in Chiang Mai.

Enjoy.

Caroline.

4. Re: 8-10 days over christmas - how to spend them?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2014, 05:18