We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these guest house to stay in?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which of these guest house to stay in?

Hi all,

I am looking to book a guesthouse in june for 2 nights. These are the few I have shortlisted, any advise? My main concern would be location, somewhere near the heart of Chiang Mai, with preferably walking distance to the day/night markets and night activities.

1. Funky Monkey Guesthouse & Tours

tripadvisor.com.sg/…REVIEWS

2. Thaphae Garden Guesthouse

tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review-g293917-d120…

3. CM Bluehouse

tripadvisor.com.sg/Hotel_Review-g293917-d639…

4. Green Tulip House GTH

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293917-d674576…

Thank You!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,615 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

I stayed at Funky Monkey on my first visit to CM. The location is just outside of the moat so easy walking distance to the old town and the night market - and if you like walking it's not too far to walk to the river as well. The owners are a very nice young couple. There are only 3 (huge!) rooms so not a place to meet lots of other travellers. When I was there the front door was locked and bolted when I returned in the evenings, but not a problem to let myself in and lock up behind me.

Incidentally I have also stayed at Top Garden on the same road (same price) and would choose this before FM - have a look at the reviews.

I stayed at CM Blue House in December 2012 and whilst it is in my favourite little soi, I found the rooms slightly shabby.

I don't know Thaphae Garden Guesthouse, but looking at their website, it wouldn't be my choice of location.

Green Tulip House GH is in a good location and looks fun but I can't see any prices on their website.

For my visit in December 2013 I am leaning towards Awana House.

Apologies if I've added more to choose from and made it more difficult for you!

Happy planning.

Trisha

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

Hi Trisha,

Thanks for the informative reply!

Its fantastic that you have stayed at so many of them :)

Yes, my first choice was Top garden but they are unavailable for the dates which I enquired.

Could you tell me more about CM blue house?

I guess now its between CM blue house, Green Tulip House GH and Awana House ( Yes, I just sent an enquiry :) )

My main consideration would be most importantly location followed by room conditions and lastly price. Fyi the price I was quoted from CM blue house if half that of Green Tuilip. Which of the 3 would you recommend for a first timer to Chiang Mai but a very frequent visitor to Thailand.

Kindly advise!

Thanks!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

Ok Awana replied pretty quick, their rates are about the same as Green Tuilip.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,615 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

My favourite location was CM Blue House. It's on a busy narrow soi, so not much motorised traffic but lots going on. There are guest houses, little cafe/coffee shops, massage, a tattooist....people wandering about.

There is a food market at the end of the street where you can buy prepared fruit.

The guest house is owned by 2 French guys so not your typical Thai hostess taking care of you. The rooms are spacious and have 2 doors - one out to the open air corridor that all the rooms open out onto, and another one onto a balcony. Not a balcony that you would sit out on, but having 2 doors makes the room light and airy.

As I said, the rooms are just slightly shabby. I stayed for a week over Christmas. If you are only going to be there for 2 nights that probably won't be such a big deal. The TV in my room didn't work but my brother was staying there at the same time, and his TV was ok.

There is a nice communal area but I didn't see anyone using it.

So, now you have to decide!

Do tell us where you decide to stay - and how you enjoy CM. Two days isn't long enough!

Trisha

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

Hello,

We recently stayed at The Castle guest house, which is within walking distance of everything. Its a very nice place with clean rooms and a small pool. They also serve a good breakfast.

Dave

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

Hi Trisha,

Thanks for the reply again. Since its in a narrow soi is it near the various day and night markets? Especially the Sunday one? That is very important haha. How about Awana, is the location better in this aspect?

Haha its ok as Thailand is very close to Singapore, with cheap flights :-) so we can visit frequently

Thank You!

Edited: 26 April 2013, 10:41
Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,615 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

Both CM Blue House and Awana are a 5-10 minutes stroll to the Sunday market - Awana slightly closer.

I walked to the night markets but stopped at so many shops on the way it took me about an hour! If you walked directly it would take maybe 20-30 minutes from either G.H.

I'm envious of your close proximity to Thailand.

Trisha

Edited: 26 April 2013, 13:04
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

Hi Trisha,

Yea Awana looks quite nice actually and good reviews too! Did you pay the deposit in the end? I saw your thread about Awana as well.

haha well I love the Mediterranean and wish I could visit more often ;)

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,615 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

No I haven't booked yet. I don't travel till December but Awana is my favorite at the moment.

Yes, it's very pleasant living 5 minutes from the med - getting hot now.

Trisha

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which of these guest house to stay in?

Have you looked at Baan Hannibah - it's towards the Nth East Cnr of the old city and very popular. Parasol Inn is right in the middle of the old city and also worth a look.

Caroline.