We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

We are travelling with children in various ages and wondering if one of the aquariums is better? Are they about the same? what are the differences between them?

Thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

Sorry - I can't compare the two for you but I can tell you the zoo in Chiang Mai is well worth a visit. Apart from the Aquaria section, you can see the panda family and you can hand feed giraffes. It is worth a morning with kids. Ours enjoyed it and have been back a few times. There are mini buses that drive you around the zoo (it is very large and hard to walk around in the heat). There is also a monorail to take you around although you miss some of the things on the ground this way.

Caroline.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

Thank you

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

Been to both, and you can't compare them like-4-like because there is no comparison.

Siam Ocean World is high tech, and a lovely way for all ages of escaping the mayhem, heat and humidity of Siam.

It can get busy with noisy excited school parties.

Allow 3 hours, and keep an eye out for discount vouchers particularly on the pocket maps you'll probably collect in Bangkok. The BTS map I've got has a 20% voucher on it.

CM zoo is as described by Caroline in #1.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

I'd give the CM aquarium a miss. It just lacks any sort of "wow" factor. The CM zoo however was well worth it. The Aquarium in Ocean World is run by a British company last I checked so is an extremely modern, slick aquarium. People talk about how great the aquarium is here in Sydney but I found the one in BKK to be much better.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,942 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

We loved the Chiang Mai zoo and it's well worth a visit, but can't compare as we haven't been to the Bangkok aquarium.

Can you do both as they are very different?

Edited: 16 June 2013, 22:03
Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai Zoo
Chiang Mai Zoo
2,736 Reviews
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

Hi

We visited the CM zoo, but not the aquarium, but also visited Ocean World twice. The zoo was worth a visit, but can't comment on the aquarium. Ocean world is great. We always go daytime on a weekday and it's never been packed and always a pleasure to visit. If you can I'd go to both.

Safe and happy travels

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,901 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

I've been to the Chiang Mai Aquarium and was disappointed, but haven't seen the one in BKK. The actual Zoo in Chiang Mai (on the same area as the Aquarium) is well worth seeing though. It takes quite awhile to get around it - there is a monorail.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

We spent 5 hours at the zoo which was pretty good. Very cheap only a couple of dollars. Spent alot of time investigating the bird sanctuary. one of the best you will see.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

Thank you very much for all the answers, we will try to do both

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which aquarium is better-ocean world in BKK or the zoo in CM

I suggest you visit Khao Kheow Open Zoo in Sriracha. it is not far from Pattaya. There are over 8,000 animals of more than 300 species. You should visit once.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Kheow Open Zoo
Khao Kheow Open Zoo
1,797 Reviews
Si Racha, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand