We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sheffield
Level Contributor
138 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

Hi

I have decided to go to an elephant camp whilst in Chang Mai, although not decided which one yet.

I am a larger lady & am concerned that the "mahout " clothes they supply may not fit me. What sort of sizes are they..

Also , how easy is it to get off & on an elephant & do you have to sit in a particular position. I ask because I have had a hip replacement & am not able to sit on my haunches for very long. I have noticed in pictures that the mahouts tend to sit with one leg curled under them.

I know these may sound silly questions but I would hate to get to the camp & not be able to take part in the programme.

Thank you

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,959 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

There are some elephant camps where you become the elephants 'carer' for the day and work with the mahout and your own elephant. In these often you get an outfit to change into which includes the fishermans style pants and loose top.

This is not all camps. There are others you can visit where you don't have to get changed and you don't have to ride the elephant on their head.

There is of course varying opinions on camps and which are the kindest to the elephants. Without buying into the whole discussion - maybe have a look at the FAQ on elephant camps in the top right in the FAQ. There are links to the web pages for the camps and with a bit of looking there you might find one you feel comfortable with.

I don't think The Thai Elephant Home is in the FAQ but it is another one worth looking at. They have a shorter two hour package.

To answer your specific questiions - I don't think you would have to get changed if you didn't want to. A loose fitting pair of long light weight pants and a loose cotton top/t.shirt would be fine.

To get on an elephant - well there are a number of ways, but often camps have platforms you walk up on to and the elephant comes alongside and you get on from the platform.

Just be careful if you have a fragile hip. It is a bit more vigorous than you might imagine.

Caroline.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
332 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

Even sitting in an "elephant chair" on the elephant's back, it reminded me of sitting in the back seat of a SUV or 4WD vehicle (e.g. Jeep, LandRover), while covering rough off-road terrain at an uncomfortable pace. What I'm trying to say is, there is quite a bit of jolting involved, especially when the elephant is climbing up or down an unmade path, to and from the river. With a hip replacement, I'd be thinking twice!! But you may still be able to do a 2 hour program without actually riding an elephant - see what's possible.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

Another one to think about is the Elephant Nature Park. Their program goes for the whole day, so is not for you if you's prefer a shorter day, but you don't change clothes and you don't ride the elephants. The day includes plenty of time to sit down and have lunch (delicious and supplied as part of the deal), and lots of photo opportunities and contact with the animals. You go to the river with them (it's a very short walk) and splash water over them, but it is very shallow so you don't get submerged. It's a great day.

country victoria
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

We went as a family to the elephant home and did the 2 hour program. My kids loved it but it is hard going on your bottom and especially between the legs. The outfit was very roomy but I would take your own clothes if you are at all worried. Make sure you take a dark color, gets pretty dirty especially if going into the river.

I am not sure if your body will allow you to do what they do, I know my dad has a metal rod in his leg and there is no way he could get on an elephant. When my kids did it the had to climb up onto the leg of the elephant, the elephant was on its haunches.

Anyway as an experience it goes down as one of the best in my families life, we just loved it and the 2 hours was plenty,would highly reccomend the Thai elephant Home, it was fantastic!

Shona

sheffield
Level Contributor
138 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

Thank you all for your very useful info. I now have a few more factors to base my decision on.

I am definitely going to go to an elephant camp & now I feel much happier. Cheers everyone

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

Don't go to any where you ride elephants. They are run for tourism and not for the good of the elephants and conservation. The Elephant Nature Park is about ethical conservation and the welfare of the elephants that they rescue

7. Re: What to wear at elephant camps for larger lady

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:15