We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice

Bristol
Level Contributor
172 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary advice

My wife and I are considering a first ever trip to Thailand and would like some advice on an itinerary.

We are thinking of a few days in Bangkok, a trip to Kanchanburi to see the RiverKwai, a few days in Chang mai followed by some time on the beach. We are happy to join a tour or take an organised excursion or even go it alone.

I know you can take a tour to Kanchanburi from Bangkok. Is it possible to go from Kanchanburi to Chang mai?

We are planning to fly from Chang mai to beach resort and we need some help here. We are in our fifties and don't mind the odd party night but we do not want to be in party central with all the kids. We would also like to be somewhere where we can take a break from the beach and go at see things. We don't mind if we stay in more than one beach resort.

Your advice on itinerary, transport and beach resorts will be most welcome.

Terry & Sue

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice

I hope you have a great trip to Thailand. How long will you be there for? I think you have to go back to Bangkok to get to Chiang Mai but someone else may be able to help with that.

Chiang Mai is a lovely place to visit with so much to see and do. We loved it there and always felt very safe there.

You can fly to phuket direct from CM but you didn't specify which part of Thailand you wanted to be for your beach part of the holiday.

Also, what time if the year are you thinking of going there?

Good luck with your planning.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice

The FAQ on the top right will help a lot with your Chiang Mai planning.

For a beach resort consider Khao Lak (one hour nth of Phuket) or Krabi, Aonang.

Both quieter than Phuket and stunning scenery. For Khao Lak you fly CM to Phuket and then road transfer. For Krabi you can fly to Phuket and road transfer or you can fly into Krabi. If you fly you need to go via Bangkok there is no direct flight from CM.

It's easy to book all of this yourself on line. Try air Asia for fares.

Caroline.

PA
Level Contributor
31 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice

Mom, a 19 year old and four 22 year olds spending 5 nights in CM this summer. Can you recommend a home, B & B or hotel /resort to stay in and in what area? Require AC, prefer to be in walking area and/or easy access to sites, safe and quiet if at all possible. Prefer not to be on buses often as I'll have been on enough planes etc. I have looked on Trip Advisor but am somewhat lost as to location for what is easy to get around and what may be a comfortable accommodation.

Also, what may be the best itinerary for sites to see and things to do?

Is there a particular tour guide or group that is reputable for CM outskirts?

Your recommendations would be most appreciated.

Two of us will be heading to the beaches for 4 days. Don't know which ones yet. Your suggestions for islands and places to stay?

Thank you.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
872 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice

We're in the same age group and just booked Khao Lak, before heading to Chiang Mai and after Bangkok, better value than Phuket, but just an hour or so north of the airport, not as crowded, not party central and the resort is 18+ (not that I have anything against kids - have 3 myself but I want/need peace). Drove myself crazy researching all the options but for what I can get in Khao Lak would cost a lot more in Phuket and be so much more crowded and frenetic. We're going Air Asia for the cheap fares - we don't need fancy seats etc for an hour's flight. So we're doing approximately the same things as you are. i think somewhere peaceful - personally - would be welcome after Bangkok (and we're going to see The River Kwai too!!!).

Edited: 06 July 2013, 23:27
UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice

you have made a great choice in choosing thailand for your holiday. we are also in our 50's and this is a familiar itinerary. You need to decide if you are taking a tour to Kanchanaburi (river kwai area) or doing this independently. both are feasible. we used the river kwai jungle rafts tour package and got a quote to take us directly to the airport at the end as we planned to fly up to CM. Cannot now remember the amount but it did not seem expensive.

What is your budget for hotels in bangkok and chiang mai? Once this is known, suggestions will no doubt be forthcoming.

Agree with Khao Lak as a great choice for great beachfront hotels. There are excursions available from here, a favourite is snorkelling at the similan islands (but not available all year round so depends when you are travelling.) there are direct flights from CM to phuket airport with thai airways and airasia.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary advice

MaryCoolBreeze - can I suggest you repost your question above as a new question on the forum - that is, start a new topic. I think you will get more replies and it won't confuse the information being given back to the original poster here.

Caroline.

7. Re: Itinerary advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 05:17