We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overhwlemed, Where to stay in Chiang Mai for $125 or less?

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Overhwlemed, Where to stay in Chiang Mai for $125 or less?

I did find some interesting reads about places to stay but the postings were old. Can anyone share a recent experience with a hotel in Chiang Mai? Recommendations? I am getting a little overwhelmed with all of the listings. I'm not even sure if I should stay outside or inside the city?

Budget is up to $125

Staying 3 full days at the end of December (Sunday to Wed)

Want to relax but also see the sites. Both of us in early 40's. Probably prefer the smaller lodging experience.

I have been a little concerned about staying outside the city and what it's like getting transport to/from.

Thanks for your help!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overhwlemed, Where to stay in Chiang Mai for $125 or less?

Hi

No matter what your budget is the options for accommodation is very good. and yours is very high n CM Standards Not enough for Chedi .

This is a very busy time in in CM. Does this take you to be leaving on New Years day ???? So book early as I have found in the past.

If you are there on New Year eve there will be plenty happening at the Thapae Gate.

If you stay very close , you can go back to your hotel to use the bathroom, which I have done.

I have stayed at the following place. Portico 21 very good but not quite a guest house or hotel very good ,but a bit western , not so go if you what Lanna Style

also Mandala House, not stayed there since the new wing was added, (could not get a room, bad luck for me as I plan stay there again Have stayed at Koko Palms, Koko and her husband are lovely., and it is on my return list. Only problem with is your check in is Sunday ,it is in the Sunday market area so a taxi would not rreally be able to drop your at the door, unless you are getting there quite early afternoon

Stayed at Montara Happy House , ok not planning a return .The Hotel at Thape Gate which has the Mc Donald s (I think it is M Hotel) very noisy . Stayed at Raming Lodge , very good and would go back.

As bigger Hotels stayed in Jan this year at Centara and it was very good . On the old city side of the gate is a Hotel that is IMM (I think ) check this one out, I believe it to be very good

Enjoy Chiang Mai , be warned you will return !!! So start saving for the next trip.

John

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
115 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overhwlemed, Where to stay in Chiang Mai for $125 or less?

Baan Klang Wiang in the Old City. We booked through Agoda last year $69 per night inc breakfast. Only around ten rooms, absolutely amazing. We are going back next year and will stay there again. Hope this helps!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overhwlemed, Where to stay in Chiang Mai for $125 or less?

Have a look at Baan Orapin too. It might be on the other side of the river but its easy and cheap to get a Tuk Tuk over the river. I have even walked it (was a short walk before the foot bridge was removed).

Its relaxing, small, very Thai and family owned and run, Lovely pool and gardens. Lots of great places to eat and interesting arts and crafts shops nearby.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overhwlemed, Where to stay in Chiang Mai for $125 or less?

We stayed at the Chiang Mai Empress, it's a big hotel but very nice rooms and good breakfasts.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
50 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overhwlemed, Where to stay in Chiang Mai for $125 or less?

Oh wow... thanks everyone! Going to look at those and mush it together with this days of research swimming in my head!

(John - We can't stay into 2014 because of the airfares! They shoot up $500-$600 beginning Jan 1 for some reason!)

6. Re: Overhwlemed, Where to stay in Chiang Mai for $125 or less?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 06:16