We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

hi all,

we are planning our 2nd trip to Thailand in the new year.last trip we did Bangkok and Phuket.this time we were thinking Bangkok and chiang mai instead.would 7 nights be too much time to allow in chiang mai? we are people who like to do a lot of sight seeing and getting a feel for a place rather than sitting around doing nothing by a pool or beach.it does appear to me that there would be quite a lot to keep us amused.

and we found Bangkok great last time and left after 5 nights without doing everything we would of liked and looking forward to going back.actually enjoyed Bangkok more than Phuket.

thank you in advance for any replies.

cheers alpha

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

Not too much time at all, especially if you will want to do some side trips to Doi Ithanon, Doi Suthep, Pai, Lampany, Lamohun, Chiang Rai, etc. I will be spending essentially 4 months in CM beginning in November. It is a wonderful town.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

thanks for that Scappoose.will check out your side trip suggestions.

enjoy your 4 months. cheers

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

Same to you. I misspelled "Lampang" and "Lamphun"; shouldn't have had that pint.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 01:10
Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

Hi

Totally agree with Scapposse. We had 5 nights our first visit, another 6 on our second, 3 again on our third. The beauty of CM is there's always something to do, see or explore!!

Safe and happy travels

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

Sorry that should say 6 again on our third!!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

You will easily fill your time. As well as lots to do in and around the city - there are many and varied day trips out into the countryside. The Mae Rim area is only about an hour away and there are lots of things to see and do there inc elephant camps, zip lining, hill tribe visits, bamboo rafting etc.

Chiang Mai is also surrounded by small arts and craft villages and it is fun looking around a few of these inc the famous umbrella making village (Bor Sang) - also silk weaving, wood work, ceramics to name a few.

There is Thailand highest mountain Doi Inthanon - also a nice day trip out of town.

The city itself has over 300 temples and an old city with a moat and in small places intact city walls.

It is very good value for eating out and getting around - and lots of great places in stay in small hotels - guest houses etc.

If you enjoyed your 5 days in Bangkok I'm sure you will love 7 in CM.

Have a look at the FAQ on the right hand side of this page - the 20 things to do, Tips for First Timers and the trip reports - plus the other questions on eating out etc, will all help you get your head around it.

All the best with the planning.

Caroline.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 01:43
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

thank you everyone for your helpful replies.the list of 20 things to do is great,didn't notice it at first so thanks for that.defintely convinced to do chiang mai this time rather than Phuket.

what a great site this is, cheers all and thanks again

Wirral,England
Level Contributor
365 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

We only had 3 nights and really regretted not spending more in this beautiful place. Enjoy.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

We spent 7 days there and want to go back to see more. Loved it. It's so much easier to get around and cheaper than Phuket as well as more to do.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
177 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is 7 nights too many in chiang mai?

I will be there next week for my fourth visit and am staying 10 days it is an amazing place to visit