We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions re Thai Elephant Home

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
782 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Questions re Thai Elephant Home

Have booked a 2 hr trek with TEH through Mr Joy.

A few questions though and I would love it if someone can enlighten me about these!!

Are there lockers there i.e. for handbag/wallet (and are they secure?) as we are not just doing that on the day. Also do we need to take a towel ourselves and shampoos/soap?? Can we carry a water bottle and/or camera with us on the elephant?(although could be tricky to use either I guess while balancing). I understand they supply a mahout suit so that's okay, I imagine they would be okay for a mens size L and womens M (Aussie sizes)? Or should we take some backup?

Thanks for any information, much appreciated

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,991 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

They supply the cotton Thai fishermans pants and cotton tops - yes, they will fit you.

I believe Joy goes down to the river with you so he could carry your water bottle and camera - but just confirm this with him.

We had good friends do this recently and I saw their photos - someone had their camera and had taken lots of pics of them, so I assume it was Joy - but do ask. Same with a water bottle.

If there are no lockers etc you could lock your valuables in Joys van.

Caroline.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
782 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

Thanks Caroline I appreciate the information!!!! Now how to make the next 5 weeks go faster??? Hmm now that's a tough one.

uk
Level Contributor
271 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

I had my camera in my pocket and managed to take a couple of pics once I got my balance. But each elephant has a mahout walking in front and they took my camera and took some great pics. As for water, we only went out for 2 hours on the early trip and we didn't need it. We went with Joy and left valuables in his car. Put loads of bug spray on as thats where i picked up most of my bites, despite being sprayed! Have a wonderful time, we thoroughly enjoyed every minute!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
790 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

We did the full day at Thai Elephant Home last October, hopefully I can answer a couple of your questions. We had absolutely the best day, loved it all. You will be given the mahout outfit to wear and yes it comes in all sizes, it's very loose and baggy. You'll also be given a shoulder bag to put things in like camera, water bottle, bug spray and you'll carry that while on the elephant. I think they had lockers to store your valuables, sorry memory of anything other than the amazing expereince we had with the elephants is a little fuzzy! I took my camera with me expecting to be sitting up there taking lots of pics, but found it difficult to balance and take any, luckily my mahout took over and took some amazing snaps for us. PM me and I'll give you the link to our travel blog if you're interested. My camera's not waterproof and I had to hold it high while crossing the river (might not get to do that on the 2 hour trek) but if its a waterproof one you should be fine. I dont remember taking a towel so they must have had them, and I'm pretty sure they had shower gel or shampoo to use when showering. Have a wonderful time! Mr Joy is a delight, we also did a day tour with him and had a great day.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
782 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

Thanks for the information Leonek, exactly how hard is it to balance on the elephant? I am a bit scared about being perched precariously on a moving mountain personally, I am doing this as my OH wants to. I get the shakes on a horse!!! With saddle, bridle and reins!! Do you stop at the water's edge to allow removal of bag, and shoes (what sort of shoes?) Sorry to ask all these questions, and yes I probably over-think things :)

Thanks!!!!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
790 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

Sorry, didnt mean to scare you! Not too hard, if you position yourself right (they will tell you) you can tuck your legs behind their ears and this kind of anchors you. hang on to their ears, the belly rope, the hair on their head, whatever you can find and you'll be fine. they move very slowly, not sudden movements, so little chance of falling off. I'm like you, was quite nervous, but found myself relaxing and loving every minute of it after a few minutes on board. i think they ask you to take shoes off while riding, these can be kept in your bag. the elephant will let you off on the riverbank, put your bag down somewhere and go have fun with him/her in the river. Dont worry, you'll have a fabulous time with them.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
782 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

Thanks Leonek I feel better now about it. But I think I will be glad when we get to the river :)

country victoria
Level Contributor
628 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

this was the whole highlight of CM for my kids......you will love it and the Thai Elephant Home was great. we did the 2 hour trip too with JOY......my kids had their own elephant, my youngest daughter was terrifed but she managed fine, my youngest son choose the biggest elephant in the place and when I look at the photos now, there is this tiny boy on a massive elephant!!!

it was a great trip and we loved it, as you will too.......have fun

CVS

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
782 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

Thanks Shona, I will not stress about it then!!! 4 weeks today till we leave now. Can't wait, so excited!!

10. Re: Questions re Thai Elephant Home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 07:20