We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

I know this question has been asked before, sorry for repeating! We will be arriving in the afternoon and staying at the Centara Khum Phaya Resort and Spa, I was hoping someone could suggest a place to eat dinner?

I'm also not sure where to have the taxi driver drop us off that afternoon (once I drop my stuff off at the hotel) in town to do some exploring? I did purchase the recommended Map but it's a bit confusing on where I should start. We have a Scorpion boat tour booked the following day so that should give us a better idea of where things are. Any suggestions on what to see/suggest first would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and I can only get 30% deet bug spray in Canada will this be enough, where should I buy some when I'm there?

Lanna Kingdom Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Untouched Thailand
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Cultural Tours
Chiang Mai Biking
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours
Chiang Mai Tour Center
Private Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Queensland
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

meeko, maybe you could hire a tour guide to take you around for half a day just to give you the highlights and then you will be able to go exploring on your own after that. The night markets are worth having a wander around and there are lots of little places to eat.

Deet spray is available from 711 but the one from home should be ok.

Are you having dinner near your hotel or in town? There is a lovely place at the river that we ate at on our last night called Deck1 which we loved. Others will have lots of ideas.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 00:38
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

In terms of short walking distance, there are a number of local style restaurants near where you are staying, but you are looking at about 1 1/2 kilometers to reach the more tourist oriented restaurant by the river (such as Deck 1 mentioned by QldWendy). If you troll through the posts in this forum, you will find lots of suggestions and feedback on local restaurants, all of which can be easily accessed by tuk tuk from your resort.

I wouldn't count on getting an idea of Chiang Mai's layout and sightseeing options on the Scorpion boat tour. The Ping River traverses only a small part of CM and none of the interesting things to see and do are along its banks. CM was built away from the river to avoid flooding when it was founded 700 years ago.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
58 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

Wow, nice hotel!

The most famous area in Chiang Mai is Thapae Gate. I would suggest starting here for general exploring. Be sure to wander down some sois (little side streets) as this is where you'll find stuff worth remembering.

Map to Thapae Gate from your hotel: http://goo.gl/maps/KwocZ

Get your red car/tuk tuk driver to go there by saying: "Bai Thapae Gate, khaa." with a big smile.

It doesn't matter if wherever you choose to eat isn't near your hotel - there are always red cars or tuk tuks about and it shouldn't take long to get pretty much anywhere in the city.

For good Thai food in a really nice atmosphere I like The Whole Earth Restaurant. They do vegetarian, meat, Thai and Indian. It's not the cheapest, but it is good. Here's there website: www.wholeearthrestaurant.com

Hope that helps!

Amy

ChiangMaiEverything.blogspot.com

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

Thanks everyone! I'm so excited we will be there next week! So the red truck tuk tuk things are the ones we want! I assume they go in both directions? Are they like a bus and only do a certain route? I think we will probably venture out into town for our first night, we are only there for 7 nights so I don't want to miss a beat.

Is the scorpion boat tour worth it?

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

Tuk tuks and song theaws (red trucks) are separate types of vehicles. But both of them go where the passengers want to go. The tuk tuk is one fare only (you and your companions, 3 max on average), where as the song theaw will pick up multiple fares as long as everyone is going sort of the same way. Neither follow prescribed routes, so you need to ask the driver if they are going your way before boarding.

You will find mixed opinions on the river cruises, I don't find them interesting as there really isn't much to see to see from the boat that you don't see from the riverside roads, but many people simply like the aspect of travel by boat.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 02:31
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,211 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

Meeko there are river cruises you can do for dinner - which I think is nicer than just going during the day.

We were dining at Tha Nam and saw their dinner cruise boat leaving and it looked beautiful, all done up with fairy lights at dusk.

The Riverside also do dinner cruises from their restaurant.

I agree with Mr Cycling, we have done two or three trips up the river during the day and there isn't a lot to see, except the beautiful places to stay along the river and some local river life - people fishing, swimming etc.

Caroline.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

Thanks for the information regarding the transportation, I had no idea how to use their system! The dinner cruise sounds interesting, is there a specific company that offers them? I think we might skip the river cruise during the day it doesn't sound as appealing. Can't wait, I think I'm more excited for CM than I am phuket. Nothing seems to be working out for our phuket trip!

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
876 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

Check out my recomendation(s) on this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…52286039

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

I enjoyed Chiang Mai more than Phuket. It is a lovely place with nice people. I recommend Dash! as a great Thai restaurant on your first night, as the owner can give you helpful tips and even arrange a driver if you want. And the food is delicious. It's a little hard to find, so take a tuk tuk. Always bargain with the tuk tuk drivers, and ask Dash or someone else what you should be paying from your hotel.

10. Re: Where to Eat what to Do on First Day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 05:18