We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

Gulfport...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

Hello. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a strategic place, particularly hotel, to stay in for the Yi Peng and the Loi Krathong festivities this November. No luxury hotel necessary as I think of hotels where I'm just going to sleep for the nights, as we will be out exploring everyday during the stay in Chiang Mai - less than $100 a night. I would also prefer it to be of walking distance to the day or night markets or Wats that I have been reading about. Suggestions would really help. Thank you so much.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

I like Galare Guest House. 990 Baht a night. Quaint, clean, located by the river, nice inexpensive food, close to the night market and walking distance from Tha Pae Gate and the old town.

See map: http://goo.gl/maps/dbvDu

Gulfport...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

Shane, Thank you so much for your suggestion. Unfortunately, all booking sites I went to for this place is already fully booked! Must be a really ideal place to stay. Now on for another search... =)

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,585 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

If sleeping is your criteria for hotel choice, then riverside hotels are out, as the fireworks will keep you up all night long. The cacophony is so great, that I can only stand an hour or two at a riverside spot before I have to leave.

I would go for a hotel away from the river, then pop over for a visit in the evening to enjoy the krathongs floating downstream.

Most popular hotels (all over the city) will be booked solid during Loi Krathong, so the sooner you make your reservations the better.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

I swear by Top Garden - great location (outside Old City but within walking distance) a.c. rooms, adorable space and they offer cofffee AND it's super affordable AND it's next door to a great little restaurant, Cat House. http://www.baanchangelephantpark.com/

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

You could also try Sakorn Residence which is not far from the river. Vanilla Place Guesthouse also gets good reviews.

Gulfport...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I booked a room at this place called Diamond Riverside. I've read reviews that it's pretty creepy, but I guess it's going to be part of the adventure/experience... LOL. I can still cancel and pay a fee, but at least, I feel secured that we already have a back up place just in case, because I heard it's going to be a busy season there.

We're also going to be in Bangkok for 3 days afterwards. Would you guys happen to know what area would be the best place to stay to be close to attractions and shopping? Thank you so much for all your help!

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

It sounds like Diamond Riverside is a great place if you love cockroaches! I would seriously look at other options. Try Sakorn Residence.

Gulfport...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

Hello Queensland Wendy, Thanks so much for your post. Yes, i took your advice and cancelled at the Diamond Riverside =). It might have a good view over the river, but sleeping next to cockroaches is not what I plan for. Haha.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

ms mulder, there are so many other and better choices around CM. Just go to the drop down part at the top of the page and look at the guesthouses and hotels and check their reviews. We had dinner by the river so we had some great views so you don't need to actually stay there. You will see the lanterns in the sky from wherever you are.

We loved being there for the festival as there is so much going on.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay in Chiang Mai -November 2013 festivities?

In Bangkok stay near the Sky Train so that you can get around the city easily and cheaply. Taxis and tuk tuks are inexpensive, too.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 18:16