We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3G Frequency in Chiang Mai

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
3G Frequency in Chiang Mai

I searched the forum and even checked on the DTAC, TrueMove, and AIS websites but got even more confused as what will work in Chiang Mai. In the forums, people say the 3G frequency is 850Mhz. The carrier websites also lists 2100Mhz with DTAC being even more ambiguous with "Tri-Net".

My questions is "For those who are in Chiang Mai : What is the 3G frequency in Chiang Mai with the most reliable coverage in the city? We will be on a prepaid SIM except one of us in the group has a phone that only does UTMS 900/2100"?

Thanks in advance.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3G Frequency in Chiang Mai

The Thai government took forever to issue licenses for the 2100 mhz band, so a couple of companies started offering 3G on the 850 mhz band. The 2100 mhz licenses are set now and everyone is rushing to get full coverage. Chiang Mai has decent coverage for both bands.

4G which also will use the 2100 band is only available in parts of Bangkok.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3G Frequency in Chiang Mai

AIS started 3G service using 900 MHz but they are also offering now 2100 MHz in parallel. So AIS 12CALL prepaid card would be good for the person with the 900/2100 phone.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3G Frequency in Chiang Mai

Thank you for the clarification. I'll stick with my DTAC and tell my friend to get AIS for theirs.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3G Frequency in Chiang Mai

I have been a happy enough 12CALL user because my phone supports 900/2100.

5. Re: 3G Frequency in Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:33