We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

I will be in Chiang Mai for a week before going further north... What day trips would you recommend? I am considering Doi Inthanon and Mae Sariang but am interested in what else to see outside of Chiang Mai.

Due to bad knees, can't ride an elephant, but would love to see them bathing in a river; I could also go ATV-ing, or soaring, or ??? I'd appreciate any ideas you have. Thanks.

P.S.: Baan Tawai is a "given", since last February, I was taken to the wrong place and couldn't understand why what I was seeing was so disappointing! So this time, I've got a good map of the place and the zones and things to see (and buy?!) on Sangpaeng Rd...

Edited: 04 September 2013, 19:17
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

Hi Skeezix,

I stumbled upon an account of a drive around the Samoeng loop (from '8 Miles From Home', a You Tube and photo site created by a young couple who moved to Chiang Mai. They have a Face Book page and numerous You Tube videos). It is a circle of about 100 Km to the west of Chiang Mai, with lovely mountain and forest views. At the halfway point there is a little town called Samoeng. It might be worth a look.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

As mentioned earlier, Skeezix, you wouldn't want to do Mae Sariang as a day trip from Chiang Mai. From Chiang Rai, yes, but remember CM to CR is three hours, and Mae Sariang is another hour or so beyond CR.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

spopey - I'll check that out. Thanks. Always interested in good scenery! Bet you're getting excited for your own trip!

scappoose - huh... I thought Mae Sariang was in the opposite direction, near the border with Burma but southwest of Chiang Mai... I've done the bus trip to CR in February, and will be doing it again this coming trip to meet my guide and then we'll travel further north and west... but could have sworn Mae Sariang was an alternate and longer route back to Chiang Mai from MHS, where I'll be for a few days. I also read in previous posts that it was about a 4 hour drive from Chiang Mai but definitely not further north...

I'll have to have another look at my map...

a few minutes later... just looked at a map and Mae Sariang is not north or CR, Scappoose; it is south west of CM.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 01:38
Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

spopey.... can you give me the link or the address or whatever, so I can see the youtubes and info you were referring to? I did a search for the person's moniker on the Thailand Forum but didn't find anything.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

Mea culpa. Sorry about that. I got it confused with Mae salong, where the tea plantation is. That is out of CR.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

The ~100Km loop with Somoeng in the middle is called the Samoeng Loop or Mae Sa Loop. Its very tropical with lots of twists and turns. A few waterfalls, and ends up in Mae Sa valley where the elephants camps, tiger kingdom, monkey farms, etc are.

The Mae Sariang, Maehongson,Pai loop is much larger and wouldn't be much fun in one day (Unless you're flying through on motorcycles...)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

Skeez, the 8 miles from home people are at http://8milesfromhome.com/. Also, if you 'like' them on Face Book, you will get updates of photos and videos of the north as they travel around.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

scappoose - no worries mate! I'll be staying a couple of nights in Mae Salong in December, after my stay in Chiang Mai and looking forward to that. I have heard that the scenery is wonderful in that area...

CNX - I won't be doing any motorcycle flying! lol.... But I will be travelling to MHS after a couple of days in the Mae Salong area; will spend 2 nights there and then travel back down to Chiang Mai on the 5th day, so it will be a nice relaxing trip. Can't wait! I certainly wouldn't want to do all that in 1 day though! I'd have to put rockets on my feet! :)

spopey - thanks for the link; I will definitely have a look at that.

9. Re: What are good day trips to take out of Chiang Mai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2014, 06:20