We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

Ban Chang, Chiang...
6 posts
Save Topic
Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book? Around the square ?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

I'm so tempted to say - the library, but I won't... lol.

What square are you referring to? There are numerous places to take a seat, prop up your book and people-watch over a great cup of coffee... especially in the old part of Chiang Mai.

queensland
Level Contributor
37 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

Don't tell any one else!!!! - Baan Narumit Cafe - Soi 3 Chiang Moi Road ( heading towards Warorot Market) nice relaxed small garden - fans provided if hot - nice coffee and cake - take your time!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
521 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

Unfortunately, that business model doesn't actually work. "Small, quiet not expencive cosy place(s)" don't last very long. But I'm sure you can find many places that fit 2 out of 3 requirements. Don't worry so much about it, there are more coffee shops than temples nowadays. You will find 2 or 3 on each block.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

This is my absolute favorite place to sit with book and a beer or coffee...

tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g293917…

The Meeting Room Art Cafe - its over in the riverside area on 89 Charoen Radj Road - near Wat Ket. It is a wonderful space designed for artists to come and work and show their wares in the small gallery. The owner has an amazing collection of books from all over the world - wonderful floor to ceiling timber shelves filled with books. There is a huge timber table you can sit at - or more comfortable chairs. Cool music playing as well.

I love the whole concept.

There is another thing called the Art Cafe on the Tha Phae Road - but worth the trip over the river for this one... its special.

and while you are in the neighbourhood, afternoon tea at Vieng Joom On is another treat (almost next door).

Caroline.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 11:46
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

Not close to the "square", but there are some nice, quiet spots across the river that serve up inexpensive coffee and offer relaxing atmosphere.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
132 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

I love this question and all the reply's--keeping this on my fav for future trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

I second Caroline's recommendation of the Meeting Room Art Cafe - lovely owners, too. And... should you feel like something stronger than a coffee, they have Beer Lao, a rarity outside Laos!

In the Old City, we like Peppermint Cafe - it is small, but relaxed with a good atmosphere. It's in a soi in the north-east quarter (you'll find it on a Nancy Chandler map).

There are so many that you'll find just wandering around, though.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

and ALL the coffee is delicious! You can have iced Cuppochinos, Coffee lattes, Coffee Smoothies... the possibilities are endless. I'm a coffee lover, and Thailand's coffee is the best I've ever tasted!

I'm sure you will find just the perfect places to sit and enjoy the ambience, the people, your book (!) and especially the coffee...

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

I agree that the coffee there is really good. I am getting so many ideas for our next trip to Chiang Mai from here. Keep up the different questions as they are really helpful.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Small, quiet not expencive cosy place for coffee and a book?

rusthomco, I too found Baan Narumit. It is also a restaurant and bar with fantastic food and cheap drinks.

I disagree that it should be kept quiet however.

I will put up a restaurant review about it if I can work out how.