We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

We will be in Chiang Mai for 3+ weeks in November and I'd like to get a new pair of glasses while we are in town. I'd appreciate any recommendations about where to go. Also, do I need to bring my Rx with me or can I get an eye exam at the same time?

Ideally I'd like to find a place with a nice selection of frames that does quality workmanship with their lenses. I'd like transition and progressive lenses. Also, what ball park is the cost compared to the prices in the US? I realize the cost of the frames can be a big variable.

Lastly, how long does it take from start to finish to get the glasses made?

Thanks for your help...Colleen

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

The doctor speaks English perfectly, has all equipment in house, can make glasses in a day or two(less if necessary), and refuses to take advantage of anyone. Last time I was there he did a full exam and told me that my glasses were still good and no need to replace them. He had them cleaned up and sent me on my way. I' had a friend who went their looking for new frames. The doctor fixed his old frames for him for no charge. If you ask around, I'm sue you'll hear the same from many people.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=chiang+mai+&hl=en&ll=18.790486,98.991977&spn=0.000627,0.002642&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.735377,86.572266&hnear=Chiang+Mai,+Thailand&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=18.790485,98.991976&panoid=28p8F5Ugi0Lv_qTY34RaXw&cbp=11,48.5,,0,-7.18

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

I got my first glasses via Top Chareon, who have locations all over the place. The lenses were great and reasonably priced, but their frames didn't hold up.

My current glasses were from Tokyo Optics in Central Airport Mall. They were more expensive, though that might have partially been my choice of high end lenses :(. But they have on site eye exams and have taken care of problems without charge (such as my daughter grabbing them off my face and bending the frames). The glasses took two days to be made (in Bangkok I believe).

Most opticians here will do exams, but I would bring your current Rx as a comparator.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

@CNXSteve Does the place you sent the link for have a name in English or only Thai? From the map it looks like it is right next to Big Smile Breakfast & Sandwich. Is that correct?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

Muanchon is translation of the name. Best to follow the pictures(top of the link). the posting on the map portion are not correct. Its next door to the giant art supply center and the foreign exchange on the other side. Almost across from Paradise Pizza

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

@MrCycling "They were more expensive, though that might have partially been my choice of high end lenses"

What type of lenses did you get? Was there a big difference in the cost between Tokyo Optics and Top Chareon?

I'm wanting lenses that are both progressive and transition. I know in the US they come in a standard plastic lens and an upgraded poly carbonate lens - which is what I would prefer.

My existing glasses are pretty scratched and I'm trying to decide if I should replace them here before I leave or wait and get new ones there. If the quality is the same, I'll wait till I'm there as I'm assuming they are quite a bit less than in California.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

If you are going for the high end progressive lens then you won't save a lot here. Folks looking for simple readers or single vision glasses can do good, as basic, locally ground lens are a deal (as can be frames). But the brand name progressive lens are similarly priced to home. You might save a bit on new frames, but you might lose the ability to walk into your local optometrist for adjustments and minor repairs.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

Thanks for the info. I'll check both places out when I get to Chiang Mai.

8. Re: Recommendations for purchasing new glasses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:21