We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beersheba, Israel
Level Contributor
209 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

We're a 60 year old couple and will be travelling in Thailand for 3 weeks in November.We plan are to spend 3 days in Bangkok recovering from jetlag and seeing a few sights (booked at Adelphi suites). We've booked a flight to Chiang Mai, and intend staying 5 nights in Chiang Mai (booked at Shewe Wana suite resort).

We intend flying to Phuket and spending a week in khao Lak, and after this, we have about 5 unplanned days. we would have liked to remain flexible with hotel bookings and flights but as this is hight season, flexibilty doesn't seem possible. I've noticed hotels and flights are booking up.

My questions...

1. Should we book our flight out of Chiang Mai after 5 nights or should we give ourselves a few days more in the North?

2. What should we do after Khao Lak? Not sure if we should return to Bangkok or spend a few days in Phuket. We have to book a flight back to Bangkok.

3. Khao lak accommodations seem overpriced for this time of the year. Are there any other, easy to reach options near Phuket? We're on a mid-range budget but would like somwhere relaxing and relatively quiet, but within reach of shops and restaurants.

All suggestions and advice welcome.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

5 days is a nice time to spend in Chiang Mai, but have you considered having a few more days and going to Chiang Rai province and Golden Triangle, maybe over to Myanmar too?

Check out this itenary for a tour round Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai:

wikitravel.org/en/Chiang_Mai_to_Chiang_Rai_i…

I did it myself about 2 months ago and it was a really great way to see the North of Thailand. There's a link to a map ion the article with all the stops as well as other attractions in Chiang Mai. Also there's some hotel recomendations.

Also Here's my standard 3 days in Chiang Mai suggestions - you could easily fill 5 days with these and a few other thing....

see map: http://goo.gl/maps/bAO9x

Day 1 - walk round the old town and see Tha Pae Gate, Wat Chedi Luang, Three Kings Monument, Wat Phra Singh, and finish at Wat Sri Suphan (you may want to get a tuk tuk to here). In the evening go to the Night Safari, you can catch a free mini-bus near the Tourist Police at 19:30.

Day 2 - I'd suggest hiring a scooter. In the morning (9-10am) go up to Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep (you may wish to stop at Huai Kaeo Waterfall on the way for a few photo's). Next go to Phu Phing Palace (Royal Winter Palace) for around 1pm and enjoy the beautiful gardens (respectful clothing i.e. long trousers can be hired there for 30B). When you're done (after about 2hrs) continue further in to the mountains to Hmong 'Hill Tribe' Village. In the evening grab dinner at Sila-aat Restaurant in the Night Bazaar and then go to the boxing at Loi Kroh Boxing (about 400B).

Day 3 - Go to Mae Sa Elephant Camp. Trekking optional extra. There are 3 shows a day and will take about 90-120 minutes. There's plenty of other things to see and do in Mae Sa valley so why not pick something else to do whilst in the area. Every Sunday there's a famous Night Market from Tha Pae Gate in tot he old town, spend a couple of hours shopping before it closes shortly after 10pm.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

Shane has given you a great itinerary, Chiang Rai is definitly worth going to if you have the time which you do and the other couple of days you have left over you could spend in Phuket at mom Tri's boathouse, lovely hotel in a beautiful settin and the food is wonderful.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

Just to add we''ve also stayed at the Adelphi suites, I'm sure you'll really enjoy staying there.

Beersheba, Israel
Level Contributor
209 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

Thanks Shane and Chrella. Looking into doing a golden triangle tour.

mom's boathouse looks amazing but out of our budget.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

You can spend a couple days in Chiangrai. Shewe Wana Suite resort is great. You can ask resort about package to Chiangrai. Relax and enjoy nice atmosphere.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

I'd be tempted to add two more days on to Chiang Mai. Five days is a nice amount of time to see the highlights - but with seven you will have just that bit more time for eating out and wandering around and not be rushed.

It is very easy to fill seven days and Shewe Wana is a beautiful place to stay. I don't think you will regret that decision.

We are going from Chiang Mai to Khao Lak as well - and then doing a transfer by van to Krabi to finish off. (as another suggestion and an alternative from Phuket). Krabi has an airport and has flights back to Bangkok if you need to get back there to fly out.

Caroline.

Beersheba, Israel
Level Contributor
209 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

Thanks for all the advice. We're going to add an extra 2 days to Chiang Mai.

Now the problem seems to be flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket. Are you flying Air Asia? There is a sale on their site on the 17th.

Where are you staying in Khao Lak?

Tamborine Mountain...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

Hi, I would love to know how your trip to Thailand went as we are also a couple in our 60s who are going in July.

Kind regards

Bev and Mel

Busselton, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

Bev and Mel , sometimes people get caught up in their next holiday and forget to come back and so thank you for all the information. We are in our 60's also and this will be our 4th time to Chiang Mai and this time we are staying 15 nights but in November as we love the Lantern Festival very much - just so very different to anything else we have ever seen. You are going before us - I am envious and I hope that you have a great time. We are very fond of Chiang Mai people - they are delightful and we always have such a good time. We always do a cooking class when we go to a different country and as we go to Thailand each year try and find a different one to do. We have done most of the "must sees" in the first two years and did a lot more last time we were there so this time just going to wander around the inside moat area as this will be our first time inside. Caroline has some fantastic suggestions and it is worthwhile looking at her top tips. I hope you have time to let us know how much you enjoy yourselves next month. We have 4 months to wait (; Have a great time.

USA
Level Contributor
79 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights from Chiang Mai to Phuket in November

We will be in Chiang Mai and would like to take a cooking class. Which ones would you recommend? Thank you.