We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via xxx?

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via xxx?

I posted this in the CR Province forum, but am posting here as so many more people check the CM forum and many would likely have suggestions - at least, I hope so.

We have a gap of 3 nights between when we leave CM and when we are due to arrive in CR. This is flexible, however. We know about the direct bus from CM to CR, but would be interested to hear from travellers who've travelled other than via the direct route. Are there interesting places that one could visit en route (perhaps even via a circuitous route)? We'll be travelling by public transport, we think.

We assume that public transport won't limit us, but really don't know for sure.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via xxx?

A nice loop is north via Chiang Dao, Tha Ton, Doi Mae Salong .... but the public transport is quite basic, no VIP or even first class buses like on the direct route.

You could go south to Lampang then north to CR. Better public transport, stop offs in Lampang and Phayao

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via xxx?

Check out this itenary - seems a perfect fit to me, I did it a few months back and it was really great!

wikitravel.org/en/Chiang_Mai_to_Chiang_Rai_i…

A lot of it can be done via public transport I'm told but I'd hire a car.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via xxx?

Hi

I agree with mr cycling do the loop. Or direct from Chiangmai to Chaingrai perhaps spend the night in Lampang ( my home town) and visit the elephant hospital. There's walking street in Lampang on the weekend.

Cheers,

4. Re: Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai via xxx?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:19