We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We'll be needing a cell phone

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
We'll be needing a cell phone

Any recommendations for a cell phone to get us by for our two month stay? We will be going mostly to golf resorts which are often out of the main stream areas and need to be able to contact our driver whenever we choose. Last time in Thailand, we had no phone and often found ourselves at the mercy of the golf resort obtaining us a driver.

Can I get a cheap phone that you just add minutes to as needed?

Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

Go to the main Thailand forum and have a read of the FAQ - FAQ SIM cards, iPhones etc.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,885 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

Hi,

In Chiang Mai you could head to the basement of the Central Mall in Huai Kaew Rd, it's full of phone shops and cheap phones places and you can get sorted quickly and cheaply. I've always used true move and found the coverage good in Chiang Mai province.

Cheers

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

There are cellphones sold all over Chiang Mai, there are almost as many mobile shops as there are cafes and laundries. All the box stores (Big C, Lotus, Makro) have phone stalls, both Central Airport and Kad Suan Kaew malls have electronics areas, Pantip and the other computer malls, Siam TV. The list goes on and on, check with your hotel's front desk for which might be closest to you.

You can pick up a decent, new Nokia from around 700 baht on up. All phones in Thailand are unlocked, so it will work in most global destinations when you travel (except the USA & Canada).

I use AIS because they seem to have better coverage in more remote rural areas, but for traipsing around Chiang Mai, the golf courses, etc all three companies (AIS, True, DTAC) work just fine.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 03:16
Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

Thanks MrCycling. We won't be just in Chiang Mai - we are only starting there. We plan to go to golf "resorts" in Lampung, Lampang, Chaing Rai, Udon Thani, Kohn Kaen and wherever else we end up, so good coverage would be advantageous.

I know the phones won't work in North America - we have a different system here - which is why I can't use my own Canadian smartphone or my USA cheap Walmart special Trac phone that I just add minutes to.

I just am not familiar with how the phones work there - if you can just buy one and add minutes as needed rather than have a monthly plan as we typically to do in Canada.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

'I just am not familiar with how the phones work there - if you can just buy one and add minutes as needed ' - that is exactly how it works.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,748 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

While monthly plans are available, probably 80% of Thailand does pre-paid. You can buy minutes from any mobile phone shop, from 7-11s and a myriad of other shops.

All three companies cover the main towns, so the choice is yours. If you plan to call back to Canada with the phone, True has I think the best international rates if you use their special dial code (and SIM of course). But for local calls inside Thailand there is not a huge difference.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

I just took an unlocked phone with me - put 300B on it - and called Australia for four or five minutes every day for two weeks - and didn't use it all.

I picked up a free sim on arrival at the airport and topped it up at a 7-11 with 300.

Just make sure your phone is unlocked.

Caroline.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,067 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

hi

it is just that simple

I flew in late thursday night got up this morning I have old unlocked seimens phone went to 7-11 bought phone card 49 baht then added 100 baht all done in minuites at the 7-11 counter. been texting all day locally

Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We'll be needing a cell phone

Thank you everyone. That will make life a lot simpler while there. Tomorrow the 12th we fly out and will be in Chiang Mai on the 14th.