We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport around chiang mai for 4???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport around chiang mai for 4???

Hi, I am just wanting some info for getting around chiang mai city for my family of 2 adults and 2 kids, I understand tuk tuks are a little different to those in phuket looking at pictures, they seem to only have one seat in back which looks like it could only hold 2 adults, are the 4 of us able to fit in to one or would we have to catch a songthaew??

I understand these are a little like a bus,you wave them down and they are picking up different people on no set route, to be honest I am not the most confident traveller in a foreign country and feel I would be very wary of using this option because i really have no idea where they are going or how to notify driver to drop us off etc, thank you for your help.

Bellaria-Igea...
Level Contributor
13,095 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport around chiang mai for 4???

Chiang Mai isn't that big. You can reach all spots in the center on foot. In case You have to "!travel" a bit around Chiang Mai You can take so now and then a taxi. It's not expensive at all.

You can even hire a taxi for +/- 2500 baht from 09.00 till 06.00 pm. They will bring You where You want around Chiang Mai. Elephant park, the rafting, the waterfalls, the long neck village, the tiger show, the temple on the mountain. It's an easy way of getting around nearby Chiang Mai.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,145 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport around chiang mai for 4???

We've used all the forms of transport you mention and all have been fine. The drivers in Chiang Mai are used to tourists and are mostly very relaxed so don't worry about getting on and off songthaews, it's all fairly easy - they also have bells inside the bus that you can ring when you want the driver to stop. Just let the driver know where you are going before boarding and they will stop there.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport around chiang mai for 4???

Depending on how old your kids are you should be able to fit in one tuk tuk. The seat is fairly wide. Our family of four use one for short distances. Our boys are teens.

You can also use a songthaew for 20B per person.

For tips on what to pay and how to get around have a look at the Tips for First Timers - just up top right of this page in the FAQ. Lots more useful information there on how to get around etc.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

Caroline.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 02:17
4. Re: Transport around chiang mai for 4???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 05:20