We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tigers and Elephant rides

Perth
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tigers and Elephant rides

Me and a partner will be in Chiang Mai in late November and were hoping to go see some tigers and ride some elephants. We are both quite empathetic of the plight of some unfortunate creatures at certain establishments that don't seem to actually look after their animals humanely. Is there any places with this in mind that you could recommend to get photos with Tigers (I was thinking Tiger Kingdom) and ride elephants? (I already contacted Patara Elephant Farm but they are booked out and Elephant Nature Park doesn't allow you to ride their elephants) THANKS!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

Hi

Tiger Kingdom is the only place I know that you will see Tigers. There is no admission fee, however you see little. The fee applies to the entry of the cages, and depend on the size of the Tiger.

When it come to the Elephants, not sure if you will like Maesa, Admission is 200 baht as they have an Elephant Show.

They are both out in Mae Rim. I suggest you would do like I have done.

Go to Tiger Kingdom in the Morning, if you are wanting to go in with the Tigers and I suggest this. You will be there about 1.5 hours Max Then go to Maesa not far about 20 minutes . You could have Lunch there and see the show Starts about 1.20 pm with bathing the Elephants and ride the Elephants (addition fee)

I have been to the Monkey place , and would no go back or recommend it. As for Maesa and Tiger Kingdom

I have been to both a number of times and would go back.

Enjoy Chiang Mai

Cheers

John

Edited: 08 November 2013, 03:07
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

Tiger KIngdom was fantastic - the tigers are beautiful, well cared for, absolutely not drugged or de-clawed (we checked the claws on several)

Perth
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

Thanks for the feedback thmoore. Done a bit of reading up and seems Tiger Kingdom is okay.

UK
Level Contributor
736 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

we also like maesa elephant camp; it is a lovely place to walk around and see so much- also you can take an elephant ride (2 of you can go in one seat on the elephant). You could also stop at an orchid farm on the way back.

if you can devote a whole day,have a look at Thai elephant conservation centre in lampang- they have a mahout for a day program where you will have a chance to ride an elephant bareback and take it into the jungle in the afternoon (also bathe it in the river if you wish). I am returning for the 3 day programme there again this year and can't wait!

Edited: 08 November 2013, 13:52
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

Thai Elephant Conservation Centre (in Lampang) and Patara Elephant Farm are the 2 places that won't put a box on the elephants back. There is a reason for this. Elephants have weak backs and are not meant to have a wooden box on it. Either place will teach you how to ride bareback, around the neck. *Can book a 1 day course to be a Mahout. And you get to ride the way it's meant to be ridden! WOW! Very cool! They make a video for you. Life changing experience at either one of these places. *Both places really care about their elephants.

Edited: 09 November 2013, 02:57
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

Thai Elephant Home is bare back as well - no baskets, shows or tricks.

Edited: 09 November 2013, 03:10
Perth
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

Decided on Thai Elephant Home. Its booked in!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

does tiger kingdom accept credit cards or just cash?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

Thailand is generally a cash economy. Few places accept cards at all and some places accept cards, but with an additional fee. Always better to have cash.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tigers and Elephant rides

safer to pay with cash as well.