We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

Bandung
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

I will be visiting chiang mai in a few days, for 4D3N. I have the long neck village and golden triangle tour booked for the first day (i really been curious on the long neck tribe since forever!), so only have one other free day (whole day). Is it better to use it to go to Doi Inthanon (highest point of thailand?) or DOi Suthep? Points to consider would be..only the "wow factor" wise, i guess...ahaha. wish i can visit both, but i seriously doubt it.

Thanks!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

Hi,

I think Doi Inthanon is a bit more spectacular in natural terms, but Doi Sutep is closer, easier to get to and has one of the nicest temples in Thailand and the palace. So if you've not been before then I think Doi Sutep would be my choice.

Cheers

Bandung
Level Contributor
5 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

What about the 300+ stairs climb, though? I'm not really a very fit person to begin with *blush*

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

Hi,

There's a funicular cable car that you can take up to the temple so walking not necessary.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,995 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

A visit to Wat Phra Doi Suthep is one of the highlights of a visit to Chiang Mai. It is on the mountain that sets the back drop for the city and as Paulo says, it is easily accessible - and it is stunning.

It really is a must do. You can go up in the funicular and then walk down the stairs. It's nice to go one way at least on the stairs. This will only take a few hours and will leave the rest of the day free for you to explore more of the city.

Caroline.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

I would make a day of Dooy Inthanon. I personally thought it was better than Dooy Suthep. It didn't seem as crowded with tourists although this may be because it is spread out over a large area.

Edited: 26 November 2013, 21:53
6. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2013, 18:40
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

Hi

Agree Doi suthep is a MUST. The locals says if you haven't been to Doi suthep ( temple ) you haven't been to Chiangmai.

Cheers,

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

It depends a bit on what you want to see and what you have already seen.

As it seems that you may already have seen some hilltribes and multiple temples, the nature aspect of the mountains might be the deciding factor. In which case Doi Inthanon would win out, with its cloud rainforest trails and dramatic waterfalls.

But if you haven't gotten temple or hill tribe burnout, then Doi Suthep offers a bit of all three (though a bit weak on the nature wow factor).

9. Re: Doi Suthep or Doi Inthanon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16