We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

Black Hawk, Colorado
6 posts
Save Topic
Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

We'll be in Chiang mai in a couple weeks.

I have a serious MSG migraine/nervous system problem and become incapacitated for more than 24 hours if exposed to MSG and associated food additives. As such no fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, prepared packaged curries, spice blends etc. Basically i don't eat any boxed/ packaged bottled or otherwise prepared foods with additives. I know eating in Thailand is going to be a challenge, and unfortunately I won't be eating any food prepared by others.

I figure the best arrangement for me to eat Thai food is to take a cooking class where they do not use or are agreeable to letting me not use any such prepared food products... essentially cooking only from fresh ingredients.

The other aspect is it would be really nice to find places to stay that have cooking facilities. we are a group of 4 and will be staying in places with two bedrooms.

Anyone with direct experience with this? Recommendations?

Thanks

Alkmaar, The...
Level Contributor
105 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

To be honest, I don't think that you should even think about visiting Thailand/Asia in general. Avoiding those ingredients will for sure be a mission impossible.

Black Hawk, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

Thanks for your concern, but I have spent time in Japan and Hong Kong and been able to take care of myself just fine.

Not going is not a consideration (sorry for the double negative) I will be there in a week.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 18:47
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,749 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

why not pick a couple that sound interesting and email them. I'm sure they would be able to tell you if they can accommodate your particular problem.

Black Hawk, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

Yes I will, and I have found some cooking school websites that mention such issues in their FAQs, but recommendations from people who have attended and had to deal with the same would be very helpful.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

A really good cooking school would not use MSG in their cooking IMO. Find one through recommendations on TA and then ask them if they use it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

Talk to (and email your concerns to) Ui (pronounced: you-ee) at Lot Of Thai Cookery School. She can help you. Alergies are common and kodos to you for not letting it stop you!! She's worked with alergies. She's the teacher in the original Thai cooking school in Chiang Mai. Loads of experience.. traveled to Dubai on business, been on TV & in magizines. Taught the Iron Chief. I took her course & she can recommend substuitutions. - She just needs to know. Cheers!

Edited: 23 December 2013, 02:57
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

Try Pum Restaurant and Cooking School. I love them; their recipes are very simple and healthy (their herb salad is gorgeous). They are in the road that comes off the south-east corner of the old city, just down from Whole Earth Restaurant.

8. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 15:52
Black Hawk, Colorado
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

"Just for Ur Information, Fish Sauce that is widely used in Thai Cooking is another form of MSG."

Cheers, please see my first post.

as well as with most packaged/bottled flavoring, pastes, sauces, etc of all kinds

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
37 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cooking schools that DO NOT use MSG

Hi. Suggest to look for Indian food. They use varieties of spices for cooking to bring out the aroma and taste. No role of MSG in their dishes.

Clement