We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

I am flying into Bangkok and likely flying from there to Chiang Mai for a few days. The plan is to then go to Ko Samet for a few days before returning to Bangkok and heading home. Can anyone suggest the best way to get from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet? Obviously flying will be fastest, but is there a closer airport than BKK? Thanks for the help!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

BKK (Suvarnabhumi Airport) is the closest airport for flights from Chiang Mai. Don Muang Airport adds about 30 to 40 minutes to the drive time. U-Tapao in Pattaya is served only by international charters.

2. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 12:43
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

Thank you for the help! We are probably going to take a night train from Chiang Mai down south. Can anyone tell me what the closest train station to Ko Samet is? Otherwise, I guess we will take the train to Bangkok and then get a bus to Samet. Thank you!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,222 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

Hi,

Take the train to Don Muang which is about one hour before the main railway station in Bangkok. From there the fastest way to Ban Phe (from where the ferries depart from for Koh Samet) is by private transfer. Otherwise from Don Muang take the A1 bus to Victory Monument and from the the Skytrain to Ekkamai bus station which is where buses depart from. Do note that minivans depart from Victory Monument for Ban Phe.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

Thank you AjarnAndy, that was very helpful! This might be a dumb question, but how do you arrange private transfer from Don Muang to Ban Phe? Do you know how much that might cost v. taking a bus? Thanks!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,222 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

Hi,

You can arrange a private transfer with Oriental Escape:

orientalescape.com/thailand/…bangkok.html

While I don't know the cost by bus a private transfer costs substantially more (2,650 to 2,800 baht) but will get you to Ban Phe a lot faster.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

Hello- I'm going to Bangkok then flying to chiang Mai and then really want to go to a nice beach before heading back to Bangkok (exactly the same as yoh) How did koh samet go? Worth it? And how did you get there from chiang Mai? Thanks so much!!

Newport
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

Hi Stephanie,

I'm trying to do exactly the same I have a six day gap before my flight from BKK I'm getting lost with all the options considering night bus from Bangkok then private transfer purely for ease, let us know if you find a quick way x

9. Re: Travel from Chiang Mai to Ko Samet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:15