We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santpoort-Zuid, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

My husband and I are traveling on February 6th to Chiang Mai for the first time. (this is also our first visit to Thailand) To my dismay many hotels and guest houses are fully booked. I loved the sound of Baan Orapin (is fully booked) for both style and location (and price) but could afford a bit more. I would hope to find something for maximum 100 euros. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. thanks, Susan

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
992 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

The Chiang Mai Flower Festival is on at this time which may be why everything is booked. We booked our accommodation in May.

I am not sure how long you are there for, but have you considered moving between accommodation? I.e. get what you can for the Flower Festival and then move to Baan Orapin as vacancies arise?

Sawadee.com is a good website for accommodation. Put in your dates and budgets and see what takes your fancy :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

I agree with the advice above about moving - sometimes places might have something free for three nights during your stay (but not six - for example). Staying in two different parts of the city is a good way to experience different local areas.

And - sawadee.com would be a quick way to check what is available (although some smaller guest houses - like The Baan Orapin - don't use wholesalers).

Shewe Wana is also in the riverside district and could be worth checking.

Rimping Village is another in that general area - and it has more rooms so may have something.

Yang Come Village is not far from the night bazaar area, but has that lanna/thai style and beautiful grounds.

Another place to check could be Ban Thai Village which is in a soi just off the Tha Phae Road (very central in between the night bazaar and the old city).

Also try Baan Klang Wiang in the old city. (small boutique style hotel with some atmosphere).

All the best with the hunt.

Caroline.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

Check with all of the hotel booking services, agoda.com, sawasdee.com,. hotels.com, booking.com. They all have room blocks for the various hotels and while one service (or even the hotel itself) show it as sold out, it doesn't mean everyone else has filled their allotment.

And as others have suggested you could also try splitting your stay into two smaller blocks and search that way.

But if all else fails, you might just have to pick the best from what is available at this late date. As pughugger mentioned that is Flower Festival weekend and is at the end of the Chinese New Year mini peak season (it is usually quite busy here for a week or so on either side of CNY)

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

I always use hotelscombined.com which trawls through all the major booking sites already mentioned above and gives the best prices. As already mentioned, perhaps for example Agoda has sold its allocation but booking.com hasn't. Much easier than going into each booking site individually.

Manathai Village hotel is another nice hotel to consider which is close to the Night Bazaar and Taepai Gate.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 03:27
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

Directrooms.com does the same thing... But most pages that scan like this do not include sawadee.com so do compare on that as well.

Caroline.

Santpoort-Zuid, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

Many thanks to all who have replied. I am quite relieved to read that the 'fully booked' is due to a festival as I became really scared that our plans to be fairly relaxed and travel around Thailand without booking everything in advance was a crazy one.............

I shall now start looking at some of the places suggested.

Can anyone reassure me that it is generally ok to travel without pre-booking.....I am way beyond back-packer age; therefore a bit less flexible. I like 'nice' accommodation that's clean, quiet and friendly. We are outdoor types, i.e. love walking and cycling and also just being in places. We don't much like being organised or doing lots of 'sights' with other visitors. Our intention was/is to travel in the 'Western Loop' after Chiang Mai. any suggestions are very welcome. Many thanks.

Thanks again, Susan

Santpoort-Zuid, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

Hotel update! The ones you mentioned were also full BUT happy, and very relieved, to have booked 4 nights at The Balcony CM village. Looks ok and I have the option to cancel until the end of january.

Susan

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

The hotel is nice, but it is ways from 'downtown', out on the highwayto Mae Jo.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,962 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

It is a fair way out of town. I would keep looking if I were you - unless you are happy to be out of town.

There is a lot of advantages to being right in town for exploring, eating out and generally getting from A to B.

Caroline.

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice Accommodation in Chiang Mai

Many guest houses don't have an internet presence and will have availability. I visit C.M. around Christmas time which is high season, and there are always guest houses with vacancies. Obviously you won't be guaranteed your first choice, and you may have to wander the sois to find something you're happy with, but there will be beds to be found.

Trisha