We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
40 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

I'm planning for a day trip for two person on February 8th to Doi Suthep Temple and Khun Chang Kian research centre to see cherry blossoms. Possibly the Hmong Village if it's also in that area.

I've gotten a quote from a local tour site: 2800 Baht for private car to Doi Suthep and they suggested for me to take a cab to Khun Chang Kian and back while the driver waits. They don't offer join-in group tours.

Is there a cheaper way (perhaps without tour) to visit those places coming from the city?

So far, I've learned that I can take a songthaew to Doi Suthep temple from Chang Pauk gate. Would there be songthaew or taxi at the temple to take us to Khun Chang Kian? Will there be transportation back as well or would I have to ask the driver to wait?

Thanks!

Pon Chiang Mai Private Tours
Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Pu Taxitours
Taxis & Shuttles
Mr Boon
Taxis & Shuttles
Chiang Mai Driving Tours
Day Trips, Private Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

You may find a song teaw at Wat Doi Suthep offering to go to Khun Chang Kian, but most likely they will wait until they a have few folks before driving there. It is a fair distance on small roads across the mountain.

You might even be able to find a song teaw near the zoo, that will take you both places, but it would be a private trip and probably not too cheap.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
40 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

Thanks so much! :) Will try getting a songteaw at Doi Suthep

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

Are you able to get songteaw at Doi Suthep?

Saigon
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

I plan to visit to Ban Khun Chang Kian in 1 day on date the 8th of Feb 2015. I am finding someone to share vehicles.

Please contact to me if you are interested. my email zigg.spm @ icloud.com

PJ
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

Hi. I understand it's only 14km from Chiangmai city but the road is small & narrow.

Advisable to cycling there ? Anyone has done this ? Appreciate your advice :)

Cheers.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

It is about 14 kilometers from Doi Suthep, not the city. So by bike you need to first climb the road to Doi Suthep, then onto Khun Chang Kian. Lots of uphill and a fair amount of traffic enroute to Doi Suthep.

Can you do it? Sure if: 1) you are in shape, 2) you have a good bike (not one of the ones you can rent in town), 3) you like climbing (1200+ meters of vertical).

PJ
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

Thx Mr Cycling for a good piece of advice. Appreciate it :)

8. Re: Cheap way to visit Khun Chang Kian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2016, 04:16