We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
2 posts
Save Topic
AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

I had a terrible morning in Chiang Mai dealing with a motorbike return. I rented a 125cc from Eak Motorbike Rental, which I picked up at a hotel on Ta Phae Road. I paid 250B per day for 2 days. A woman arrived by moped to fill out the contract, taking photos of the bike for damage control, and then took my passport as deposit. As soon as she left and before I left the property with the bike, I saw that the one of the mirrors on the bike had cracked. I hadn't even touched it! I immediately went inside the hotel and asked the reception to come and take a look so she could inform the rental agency. It wasn't my fault and I did not want to be charged when I returned the bike. She looked and said she would call and it was not a problem.

When I went to return the bike, the rental woman arrived with a man that I had not seen before. He immediately said I had to pay for the mirror or he would not return my passport. I explained that the mirror had cracked before I even touched the bike, and he said he understood but I still had to pay. I went inside the hotel to ask for the reception lady who was witness to the broken mirror before I left the property, and when we came back outside, the motorbike rental people had LEFT WITH MY PASSPORT!!!

The hotel woman called them back and told me they would return in 10 minutes. I had a bus ticket booked to leave Chiang Mai that day and it was getting late. The man and woman returned eventually and the man kept repeating that I either pay him for the mirror or I would not get my passport back. I was upset as it really was not my fault. He then got back on his moped and threatened to leave again.

I had to pay. After all this I was too late for my bus and had to buy a new ticket. It was a terrible experience all around. Don't rent from these people! They may accuse you of damage and drive off with your passport as well!

Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

And why did you hand over your passport to the company??????? There are so many threads on TA, where people are telling about there bad experiences when handing over their passport. And again and again it is told DO NOT HAND OVER YOUR PASSPORT.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

And how is somebody meant to hire a motorbike without handing over their passport? I've always been told if I don't hand it over I can't rent the bike.

Sorry for your experience lapommemlle12.

It's always best to rent from somebody who is recommend by somebody you know or on the TA board. I rent a motorbike and the owner has my passport some of the time but I trust her completely.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
516 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

This has nothing to do with handing over a passport or not. It could have just as easily been a credit card hold or cash.

The main issue is that the initial walk through of the scooter was not done correctly. I don't know anything about EAK, but good rental shops don't rent bikes with broken parts or scratches. The secondary bike rental shops will mark the contract and have you sign off that you agree with the recognized breaks or scratches.

Its unfortunate, but I don't think you can blame EAK for this. You had the chance to look over the bike before rental. The owner has to believe that the mirror was fine otherwise it would have been marked off on the contract or picture would have been taken.

This is a good lesson for anyone renting anything. Make sure to actually look it over and get pictures while the employees is there.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

Ultimately it is your responsibility to thoroughly check out any rented equipment be it a motorbike, car or even bicycle, before signing off on acceptance. Did you inspect the bike with her and point out damage that you saw? Or did you stand back and let her do everything?

And also with motorbikes, it is good to start them and drive a little bit to make sure lights and brakes all work to your satisfaction before accepting the rental.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

Leave Passport = Get Scammed, Pretty simple process.

Me no look at picture.

Thb15000 No Passport!!!!!

Edited: 26 January 2014, 07:24
Phuket Town...
Level Contributor
2,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

Passport is the most important document you can have, when you travel in another country. You should NEVER leave your passport anywhere. If the rental shop doesn't accept a copy of your passport, and maybe a little higher deposit, I would never choose to rent at that shop.

You read so many stories that is exactly the same as yours, and still people doesn't learn.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

Hi

In the USA the passport is not your's it belongs to government,

it states that it is the property of the United States.

never give to anyone to hold for any reason other than to obtain visa to travel to other countries.

my passport is always locked safely away I carry a copy of the front page with me at all times

the only times you need to show passport is in banks checking in to hotels and immigration.

I woud be leery of giving my passport to small town local police.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,419 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

Not checking for any prior damage+ leaving passport = easily scammed.

This unfortunately is a typical 1 post rant. Never contributed previously and will probably never contribute again.

Tommo

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
962 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

*This is how you rent a motorbike without leaving your passport ~

Rental Through a Rental Shop - Your hotel should be able to tell you where the closest bike rental shop is, so start there if you don't want to walk around looking for one.

All you'll need to rent a bike through a rental shop is money for a deposit, (usually in the 2,000 to 6,000 baht range, depending on the bike), the daily, weekly or monthly fee, and a photocopy of your passport, along with the original.

The bike shop will check your original passport to make sure the information on the copy is correct, (ie: nothing has been altered on the copy) and will then accept the photocopy as proof of identity. If you're asked to, never leave your passport with them. It's not legally required, and could cause you problems if it's lost, copied or stolen.

Of course you will have people, usually westerners, saying you must leave your passport with the shop as collateral. This is not true, as long as you're willing to leave the sizeable deposit instead. Personally, I'd rather chance losing a 3,000 baht deposit than my passport (although you shouldn't have any problems with that in Chiang Mai either).

Bike rental runs around 200 baht ($6.50) per day or less for a moped (100 or 125 cc Hondas are the most common) and 800 baht ($26) on up for a motorbike. Some shops are cheaper, some more expensive, so shop around before you rent. If you rent for a week the rate per day is cheaper and, again, if you organize a monthly rental, even cheaper still.

Once you've picked out your bike and paid, make sure you check everything on the bike V before driving away. Check for scratches and dents (you don't want to be charged later for something you didn't do) and make sure lights, brakes etc. work. Go over the bike with the shop associate before you sign the contract. - I suggest taking pictures, but that’s me.

Typically, if you have an accident and try to place a claim through your home country's travel insurance, or any other insurance policy you might have, (rental shops don't include insurance in their bike rentals, but some will sell it to you separately if you want it), you must have had a valid license at the time of the accident, or the insurance company will not pay out. That's why, if at all possible, don't plan on having an accident.

Now you're ready to drive away.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 15:50
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: AVOID Eak Motorbike Rental!!!

Ijust had a hard time returning a 125cc that only topped 60kmph! They took a full days rent plus 100 baht for picking it up, even though its not my problem they bike was slow! He was rude and i told him its a very bad way to run a business! Dont use them!