We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patara Elephant Farm

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Patara Elephant Farm

Hi there I am looking at going to visit the Elephant farm when I visit Chiang Mai. Having read the description it sounds quite good but I have a few questions. Do you really need to check the Elephant dung with your hands and how deep is the water you go in as I cant swim and am quite short.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patara Elephant Farm

Consider Elephant Nature Park as an alternative.

No handling elephant dung (unless you are staying/ working as a volunteer, and then you're using shovels to clean it up).

Bathing elephants in the river, you can go as deep as you like (at ENP), the river is usually no more than waist deep, but you generally only need to go knee deep...

and, bonus, elephants are well treated and happy

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patara Elephant Farm

Thanks for your message. I didnt think you would be handling the dung but it was one of the reviews that stated it as part of the itenerary. Its good to know the water is not too deep this makes me feel better. Regarding the animals i think it is worth paying the extra to visit somewhere that treats the animals well. From all the reviews i have read it seems as if it will be a wonderful experience.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patara Elephant Farm

oh sorry houndog, my above comments are in relation to ENP, I havent been to Patara, but highly recommend ENP through first hand experience

4. Re: Patara Elephant Farm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 06:18