We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green bus to CR seatbelts?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Green bus to CR seatbelts?

Does the VIP bus have seat belts? Also would you describe the road as good condition? My traveling companion has previously been in a bus accident, so this is very important.

Thanks

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

Yes there are seat belts and the road is in good condition. It's a twisting, winding road and very scenic in many parts.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

Great, thank you very much for your answer

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,098 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

The seats are not like standard bus seats. They are very large - like an old business class seat in a plane. They recline right back and a foot rest comes up if you want to lie down. It is very comfortable and yes, as advised above they do have seat belts. The first part of the trip from Chiang Mai is fairly straight along an open road, but as you get about half way in you start to go up over the mountain and it is fairly windy.

Enjoy your trip.

Caroline.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,071 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

Hi

the green bus is not a VIP bus . more like a nice city bus. I almost got car sick on my last trip between Chiang mai and Chaing Rai and I never get car sick. it is a twisty windy road and sometimes the bus goes fast around corners.

hi you might look into a mini van instead of bus

Edited: 28 January 2014, 00:19
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

I'd choose the VIP bus. There is indeed a VIP bus from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. It is an easy journey - not quite three hours, and as Caroline has said, extremely comfy. We never felt that the road was dangerous - the surface is good and there are no really sharp steep bends that you find on other drives in Thailand (Chiang Mai to Pai, for example). In contrast, a minivan might be able to go faster and would be less likely to have seat belts.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

I agree with the above however as I found out recently travelling Chang Rai to Chiang Mai, sometimes the seatbelts are broken. Other than that the bus is very comfortable and all except for one trip some time ago I have found the drivers to be very good.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

For your travel companion's peace of mind I would stick with the VIP buses. Green Bus has three different coaches, the VIP with three across seating (as Caroline mention similar to old first class airline seats), A class with four across seating (standard bus seats) and X Class which is half VIP, half A.

Taking a public mini-van would be more iffy in terms of seatbelts and reasonable driving speeds.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

Another thing about the buses... I would advise you to travel during daylight hours, as the scenery is quite nice. The buses are quite comfortable and inexpensive. There are single seat recliners on the right side of the bus and double seats on the left side.I did the trip up to Chiang Rai and back to Chiang Mai on a weekend last February, and took the VIP bus. There is a washroom on the bus but it can be challenging during the windy road sections, to get back there! If you wait until you get to the bus station in Chiang Rai to use the bathroom facilities, they are not the greatest! The VIP bus does not stop along the 3 hour route to Chiang Rai, but it is a very pleasant drive. I agree with the previous poster about mini vans. I don't recommend using them for transport.

10. Re: Green bus to CR seatbelts?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:19