We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Chiang Mai

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Chiang Mai

Hi everyone, been reading posts avidly for weeks. My husband and I are travelling to Chiang Mai for the first time in mid February. I'm really looking forward to this as I have only been out of Australia once and that was to Phuket. I have only booked my day with the elephants so far as I want to do that on my birthday. My question is, will I be wise to book in advance for things like Flight of the Gibbon, Araiwah Bike Tours and hiring a driver or will I be reasonably safe in organising when I arrive? We are spending 12 nights there so I do have a bit of time on my hands to play with but I don't want to get caught short, so to speak. Any advice from Chiang Mai experts will be avidly read! And thanks in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,457 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Chiang Mai

If all you're doing is prebooking then that's fine but if you need to prepay in full or even a deposit, then I'd wait till you were there. 12 days is a decent amount of time to be able to play around with dates/availability, so you might get a better deal once there "on the ground". You can also tailor your tours according to the weather rather than risking booking an outdoor activity now & having it rain on that day.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,048 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Chiang Mai

Robyn 12 days is a great amount of time to spend in Chiang Mai. You will have time to relax and explore the city and surrounding areas.

You don't need to book ahead for activities like those you mention. We found we got a better price (slightly discounted) by booking through a travel agent in town (for Jungle Flight).

If you want a driver to take you on a few out of town trips this can be easily organised once there as well. If you want one of the registered TAT guides (listed in the FAQ top right of this page) - then I would book ahead. We usually book the guide we use for two full days (ahead of time) and then when we are there we cover all the things out of town on these days.

Caroline.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Chiang Mai

Hi Caroline, thanks for your comment, you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking regarding booking when we get there. I've been stalking the forums for a while now so feel reasonably confident thanks to contributors like yourself.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Chiang Mai

Thanks to you too Robol, and no the elephant park I booked with didn't ask for a deposit which made me more confident with my choice as my initial choice did want a deposit and was slow to confirm hence booking elsewhere.

5. Re: First time in Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:21