We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

Which Chiang Mai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

Hi everyone,

Good grief it is February already, so time to start serious research for our June trip. Let's face it, the research is half the fun!!

We have been to Chiang Mai 4 times, but have never been to some things so will be hoping for some guidance.

Really want to go to Baan Tawaii village this time, so wondering if we just get a songthaew there, will we be able to grab another to get home, or do we need a car and driver to take us and wait there. I always feel under pressure if I know someone is waiting for us, so would prefer to get dropped off and we flag something down when we are finished. I am assuming Baan Tawaii is worth a visit?? Interested in purchasing some uniquely Thai home wares.

Thanks in advance. MCG

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,049 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

If you plan on shopping a bit, having a driver/vehicle is better, as your driver can leapfrog you as you wander through the village (it is quite big and spread out) and take your purchases with him in the car. But no need to feel under pressure, Thai drivers are used to waiting around (its their nap time ;-).

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

Thanks so much Mr. Cycling,

Will do it that way.

Still chuckling about nap time......

MCG

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

MCG - Another thing that is helpful is to google the "Zone Map for Baan Tawaii" - and print it out to take with you. Baan Tawaii is very large area and divided up into Zones that will tell you where the furniture is and other things so you can find your way around better.

Last February, I hired a driver to take me out there and she just waited in the car for me. There are several small side allys off of the main road - kind of like sois, and the stalls each have a # on them. When you get there, get the cell # from your driver, and when you need her or him to pick up some purchases while you continue shopping, the driver can come to the stall you're at and get the packages, and you go on shopping without having to lug everything around with you. Then when you are loaded down again, call the driver and repeat the process of them picking up your purchases. There is a lot to see. Once you look at the Zone map, you'll be able to tailor your route while there.

After Baan Tawai, you could get your driver to take you to some other small villages or just along the main road where there are many more shops and great things to buy!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

You will definitely need a car, why don't you just hire a car for a couple of days and drive yourself. The roads are good, well sign posted and it is so easy to get around.

Cathy

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

Thanks to everyone. Such wonderful advice and help.

Will give some thought to hiring a car, and will definitely print out the zone information.

Thanks everyone.

MCG

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

Hiring a car and driving to Baan Tawaii is very doable. Unfortunately the parking is really terrible. Best to get a driver IMO.

New York City
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

We were there in February... and one of the purposes of our trip was to bring home a life size Buddha. We used a car and driver to get to Baan Tawai .. because it is about 7 miles outside of Chiang Mai and the shops are spread out... in three hours we got around to see just about everything because we had a specific goal.. I think the driver and car cost was around $35 US dollars... definitely worth while.

Once you pick out what you want... getting it home can be complicated. For example, there are LOTS of regulations on shipping a Buddha out of Thailand. My suggestion is that BEFORE you go shopping you stop at one of the shops in Baan Tawai that are set up just for shipping... They will explain all the costs and regulations.

While we found our Buddha that day... getting it home turned out to be a big ordeal because we needed special export papers. We never would have been successful, if it were not for our hotel manager JOE KEELER at the beautiful PING NAKARA (highly recommend the hotel as well) ... What he did was beyond belief as he had previous experience with exports... and we were successful. BUT if you don't have local help anticipate spending a lot of time arranging the shipping... ... if you are doing this just to save money it probably is not worth it... but for a memory it definitely is worthwhile.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

Thanks for all that information. Yes, for special memories sometimes it's worth the extra effort. Good on you, your Buddha sounds lovely.

MCG

9. Re: Best way to visit Baan Tawaii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 07:15